Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking of making the switch, but my friends are warning me about Bell's agressive throttling. They say every day ~5pm Bell kicks in the throttling. Is it the same case with FibeTV?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Bell throttles P2P between about 5pm and 1am. It seems to vary a little day by day. Rogers throttles P2P 24/7. If you have a better choice, take it. I doubt FibeTV will be affected. Bell is basically throttling internet P2P to make room for their own services, like FibeTV. The throttling on Bell is not that bad. At least it goes up to full speed at off peak times.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I'm on Rogers now, it seems they do rolling throttling of torrent (sometimes its fine, others its pretty bad). So it's only specific ports that they throttle? I can still expect to get 25mbps - 6mbps for 1 TV even at 7pm?

Is the Bell line affected by others households on the line like cable is?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Is the Bell line affected by others households on the line like cable is?
No. Each house has its own dedicated line to the Bell network.

·
Registered
264 Posts
@ ScaryBob - "Bell is basically throttling internet P2P to make room for their own services, like FibeTV."
Fibe TV uses Bell's intranet - not internet. They are separate networks.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
AFAIK, Bell's intranet (aka GAS) carries both internet and FibeTV traffic. It probably carries a lot of other traffic as well.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Is it the same case with FibeTV?
Not throttling TV would mean you would not get any reception. You are confusing Fibe TV with Fibe Internet service. I have moved your post to the appropriate forum.

If you are asking, Does Bell throttle internet traffic? The answer is Yes.

·
Registered
264 Posts
While I was spending some quality time today with a Level 2 Fibe TV tech in Ottawa debugging a Fibe TV VOD issue (successfully!), I asked what type of traffic also ran over the Fibe TV network. The tech said that the Fibe TV intranet is not shared by any other network traffic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts