Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this one.

I use a Turbo Stick. And when I use SpeedTest.net it doesn't get my location even close most of the time. I'm located down in southern Ontario, and it has me up on the west coast of James Bay and it pings me to Yellow Knife! So is this just a "SpeetTest" thing or is it a sign of some other problem?

Menessis

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
My guess is that either your connection is going through a proxy IP address or the IP address database at Speedtest needs updating.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
and it pings me to Yellow Knife!
Of course, there's nothing to stop you from selecting a different server for your test. In fact, it's a good idea to occasionally try other sites to get a better idea of your bandwidth.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
right

OK but thing is why? Why does it think Im up there sometimes and othertimes over in Montreal!

Menessis

·
Registered
74 Posts
Unless you have a fixed IP address you will most likely be assigned one of many roaming addresses. To check who owns the IP address space and maybe narrow down locality you can do a whois with the IP address on Google. This will not tell you however how the owner has allocated the subnets within their network. Hugh suggested that the name space probably needs addressing which is probably true if they break out by regional subnet allocations.

google: whois xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx will provide a bunch of information and may help you out.

Best suggestion to get a reliable result would be to trace route your data path & closest router then select the appropriate speedtest server nearest to that. Another test is to baseline the tests to a known local server to you when you get different IP address assignments.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts