Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For about 2 weeks now the Speed channel volume is so low I have to crank my receiver really high to hear it...and even the US commercials are low but when Bell throws in 1 of their "Buy Me" ads, I have to grab the remote to mute it....I suspect this is a Speed issue not Bell because of what I just said......it is really annoying, to the point of not watching Speed....can we complain to Bell, send an email to SpeedTV???...this needs to be corrected, but how????

Any one else???

Note: I just fired off an email to SpeedTV support, don't expect much back but I did say "is anyone in the US complaining?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yeah I noticed the same thing when watching a few races last weekend. The volume is basically non existent. My typicaly listening level on my SSP is between -30 and -23 on HD channels and as high as -11 on SD channels but with Speed I'm up as high as -1 and when Bell throws in one of their on ads look out, the volume is scary loud.

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
Just as an FYI, Speed and Speed HD on Rogers are both fine - the volume is in line with other channels. I don't watch commercials, so I can't comment on that aspect.

·
Registered
52 Posts
BadLag - Bell have a lot of issues with balancing their audio levels between program and commercial content and also as you point out with an entire show compared to other channels.
There are rules laid out to Bell and others with reguard to commercials, psa's and promo's inserted into programs but our government regulators as usual do nothing about enforcing logs or monitoring your noticed problem.
The rules are in place, it's just that our bureaucrats have not enforced the rules in quite a few years. Many years ago when I worked in master control at CFTO-TV in Toronto, things were different and tightly controlled. Also commercial time had to average 12 minutes per hour with 13 minutes allowed if only 11 were used in an adjoining hour. It seems today that those 12 minutes are sometimes used in a half hour period. Commercials had to run 10db lower than show content. Paper logs and tape had to show all things broadcast for government scrutiny.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So this is definitely a Bell issue if Rogers volume is fine...OK

Bell support website has changed, seems a little more intuitive, so I filled out a form, explaining the volume issue, we will see what happens.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Responses from Bell and Speed

--- RESPONSE FROM SPEED ---

We have received multiple reports from viewers such as yourself within the Bell Canada market describing the same audio issue. Though we do not have any information at this time regarding why this is occurring, please rest assured that your voice has been heard and we are currently investigating the issue.
We hope to resolve this problem soon, but feel free to use this open ticket to continue to provide updates that the problem is either resolved or ongoing.

Sincerely,
SPEED
...........................................................................................................

Response from Bell

We thank you fro your time to contact us, and we are pleased to assist you. We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing volume issues with Speed TV. Usually a front panel reset corrects any volume challenge; however, since this is being experienced in one channel only, it must be an issue from its network provider already. We strongly suggest that you contact the Speed TV directly online at http://www.speedtv.com/feedback/

So a script response from Bell and a concerned response from Speed..the fact that Speed is aware is a good thing.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It works

--- RESPONSE FROM SPEED ---

Thank you kindly for your notification regarding low audio on SPEED from your cable/satellite system. We have researched your issue and believe the problem to be resolved in your area. Please let us know if the issue continues.
We greatly appreciate your feedback and your assistance in identifying and hopefully resolving this problem.

Sincerely,
SPEED

I just read the email and tested SpeedTV, I did not change the volume of what I was watching (I mean sorta watching) and it was at the same level...seems it has been fixed, I will test tomorrow on the big tv and surround...I am hopefull.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fixed

I tested on the Living Room system, sounds great, in fact I think it is a tad louder then it was 3 weeks ago, which is good....cascarbob, I don't think it was just me but it sure seems like it was, not long after I fired off emails, stuff got done...

I should complain more often....LOL

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I can confirm it is louder (where the volume level should be) for me, as well.

Thanks!

Can you email SPEED back and tell them that we would like to see it in HD on Bell? lol

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ads really loud

So I have been watching the Rolex series race and now Race Day, the Speed volume is ok but the VU ads are really loud, BellTV has turned up SpeedTV and decided to crank their commercials? This is nuts, I still have to have the remote nearby for a Bell ad.....

Hey, it is way better than it was, I can live with this problem.
Just switch to last channel, being the US Open tennis right now...LOL

·
Registered
142 Posts
Looks like the problem has returned, the sound is once again practically non existent. Is everyone noticing this? I'm sure Bell will blame Speed again :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
The sound isnt that bad here. A little lower than TSNHD but its listenable. ....Wish I could listen to Petit Lemans in HD :(

Edit: Never mind the Bell ad just kick in ahah i now feel the issue.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I can confirm that the low volume issue has returned. Had to turn up "Battle of the Supercars" to -25 on my AVR to hear it at low volume. -35 is LOUD for everything else.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts