Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speakers and sub-woofer picking up radio signals in my bsmnt, how do I filter this?

I have 2 Boston VLZ120(I think) shielded speakers w/20ft of A/V shielded cable, a Paradigm Subwoofer w/6ft of 12ga cable, and a couple of guitar amps which all pick up radio frequencies from a local radio station and once from a snow removal crew's hand held radios. It's the same problem no matter what the audio source, my Yamaha Amp, my computer line out, turntable, Alessis Mixer, all pick up the RF signal. There was a snow removal crew a couple of months ago who were clearing snow from in front of my house and I could hear them cursing and joking over my Paradigm sub. I've tried ferrite donuts, at both ends of the cables, everything is grounded and all my devices are on Belkin UPS's (1kVA each).

To me the problem is that the RF is so strong, I'd like to find out why and if there is a way to measure just how strong. Second I'd like to know if there's something I could check, i.e. house ground, etc.. , that might be amplifying the signal in my basement. There's a fire hydrant on my lawn so I thought maybe that pipe is amplifying the signal or piping it to my house. Third if there's a filter I could make to remove the RF parasites, whether from the devices or from my house ground, that would be great.

Thanks,

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
You'll find everything you need to know about grounding in this thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=62265

Is your house grounded to a ground rod, or maybe through water pipes? If your house has proper grounding then you might want to consider turning your HT room into a Faraday Cage with conductive mesh, as used in electronics labs and repair shops to kill RF:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Hopefully the solution is simpler than that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aha! The Faraday cage. That was something I couldn't remember. I think Gene Hackman had one of those in the movie Enemy of the State. Hmmm, an HT with a cool industrial look. Excellent! I'm going to follow my ground around the house tomorrow. I think the new plastic pipes now in the ground outside of the house may be an issue. I might have to bury a grounding rod.

Thanks stampeder for you input and thanks for your advice in the OTA HD antenna section has been golden!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts