Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of replacing my Paradigm Monitor 5's that are currently on metal speaker stands. I enjoy the sound they produce through my yamaha RX-V3900 receiver but I have a 2 year old in the house and worried about them toppling over and injuring him. Any suggestions for floor stander's in the same quality range as the 5's? I know it is probably difficult to compare floor standing speakers to mid bookshelf ones but would appreciate any suggestions you may have.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Have you considered a planar magnetic or ribbon tweeter type speaker? Since you're upgrading your speakers why not try something completely different from another box-type speaker?

Check out the Magnepan MMGs. They are only available directly from their office. They are US $600 delivered and come with a 60 day money back guarantee. You will have ample power to drive them with your 3900.

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
I recommend you keep an eye out for a pair of used Monitor 7 v4s. Truly sweet speakers...and they'll give you that familiar Paradigm sound! :)

Energy's CF-30s and CF-50s might also be of interest. They're currently on sale at Future Shop (sale ends tomorrow night). The 50s have decent ratings, but the 30s appear to be very well-rated.

I picked up a pair of CF-30s this afternoon - to replace the Paradigm 5se MkIIs in my home office - and I'm about to do a bit of testing. I'll post a few comments in this thread once I'm done, in case they may be of help.

----------------------

First impressions: Wow! Big, clean sound. Bright, with reasonably "forward" midrange. The bottom end is a bit thin - no surprise there - but I suspect it'll improve with a bit of break-in. For now, I just tweak the Bass knob and all is well. :cool:

Makes me wonder how the CF-50s sound... :p

·
Registered
233 Posts
I suspect that the maggies would be magnets for the crayon or pencil or maybe even the plastic scissors.

+1 on the Monitor 7s if you already like the Paradigms.

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try and find a used pair of 7's to demo. I agree the maggies would probably look like a nice easel for my son to do some creative drawing on or poking holes in.

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a pair of Paradigm 11seMk3 for $500.00 not sure if thats a fair price or not. They do look like they are in good condition from the pictures.

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
A quick Google shows the same speakers - with minor cosmetic flaws - currently selling (and selling in 2010) for around $350. If the units you're looking at are in mint condition, $400-$450 would be reasonable, in my opinion.

(Those are some serious-looking towers. I bet they make seriously big sound! :p )

Re. Monitor 7v4s: A pair in mint condition should go for $500 or less.

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Eljay great info. Not sure i need that big a sound stage as lately I cannot even find a time that I can turn the system up past -45db. :(

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
noticed on CAM the other day, Ontario. trusted seller, lots of positive feedback. He has a bunch of stuff (vintage). Thought you should know regardless.

Paradigm Phantom "Performance Series" Oak in original boxes.
Paradigm 7 revised with other drivers (same Xover)
Paradigm Titans Performance Series (have 2 black pairs and rare white pair)

Be interesting to have a peek @ the phantoms (images)

I think the 11se MkIII would be awesome. I had the 5se, shouldn't have sold them.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Looking for a good bang for the buck?

If you keep an eye open on newegg Canada, you will notice they often offer good deals on the Polk Monitor series II towers (50, 60 & 70) since they are vintage (however still supported by Pok) you will save substantial money on the actual value.

Cheers!
TK

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just went through the process of replacing a set of stand mount speakers in my 2 channel system. Same reason as you, my little guy was getting too active, and the risk of one coming down on him was not one I was willing to take.

I had a big list of new speakers I had intended to audition, as well as a list of speakers I'd buy without audition if they showed up used.

Before I even got a chance to do any listening, I found a pair used. Monitor Audio RS6. I bought without audition figuring if they weren't for me, I'd flip them. I've been extremely happy with them though. Great sound, very nice finish on the cabinets, small footprint for a tower and sound good with my existing amp so no need to upgrade there.

Have a listen if you can find a pair. They don't last long on the used market though.

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seller finally got back to me. They are available and the ad was posted over a month ago. She is firm on the price. Still think $500 is to high but maybe I will make the trip and audition them. Can't really take my receiver with me. I was hoping to get a replacement set for around $350 since that is my budget. What would my 5's go for on the used market?

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
Still think $500 is to high but maybe I will make the trip and audition them.
At the very least they're worth an audition. If you see them, hear them and really like them, off her $450. Since the ad's already a month old, she may be willing to knock something off the price for a serious buyer. If she isn't, well, pay the $500 and take home a nice pair of 11se Mk3s! :p

What would my 5's go for on the used market?
What version are they?

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the reply Eljay. I may go audition them. I emailed here a few questions like when were they last used, are they being used now, etc. Hard to tell from the pictures the condition.

My Monitor 5's are v.2 and in fair to good condition. Few marks on them cosmetically.

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
I emailed here a few questions like when were they last used, are they being used now, etc. Hard to tell from the pictures the condition.
I hate it when people only post one or two pics, and small ones at that. Hopefully she doesn't live too far away. If she does, get he to send you a bunch of large, high-res pics of all sides of the speakers. If she's insisting on full price, the least she can do is make the effort to provide the pics.

My Monitor 5's are v.2 and in fair to good condition. Few marks on them cosmetically.
Not a lot of ads to compare with but, if I had to guess, I'd say $250-$300, including stands, and depending upon their actual condition.

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks as always Eljay for your responses. The seller has not gotten back to me about the inquiries I made so she may not be that serious about selling them.

Told my wife tonight what my plan was and she gave me a mysterious look and asked what floor standing speakers are. :) I like the Monitor 5's just hate the stands...

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
Thanks as always Eljay for your responses.
Glad to help. :)

The seller has not gotten back to me about the inquiries I made so she may not be that serious about selling them.
That's too bad. Then again, maybe she hasn't replied because she's busy taking all kinds of detailed, high-res pics for you! :p

I like the Monitor 5's just hate the stands...
Yup, I know the feeling. Towers are just...easier.

BTW, nice looking M5s. I'd probably buy those off you...if you didn't live so far away. :)

Seriously, though, hold out for some M7v4s. You'll get a similar sound to your M5v4s in a nice-looking tower.

-- EDIT --
I just noticed your Kijiji ad. Assuming that "good condition" actually means "good condition", you're starting off with far too low an asking price, IMO.

(At that price, I would DEFINITELY buy them off you...if you didn't live so far away!)

1 - 20 of 124 Posts