Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a regular house speaker only 8 watts max that sounds louder and more crisp than my 25 watt toshiba surround speaker:confused::confused:
Whats going on?

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The magnovox house speaker says 8 watts and 8 ohms.

The toshiba surround speaker says 25 watts and 8 (with a little symbol shaped like headhones) next to the 8

Dont see anything about sensitivity on either

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
The speaker probably has a different sensitivity, or it may simply sound different since different speakers do sound different.

Sensitivity (dB @ 1 Watt for example) is often written in the specs for the speakers - available online or with the documentation that came with the speaker.

Most AVRs or HTiBs have test tones and setup menus which allow you to "balance" your speakers by increasing quiet ones or decreasing loud ones. This is part of the initial setup that should be done for any surround sound system.

See the following post useful for those new to this sort of thing - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If (2) 22 guage wires were used for one speaker, would that increase sound quality or do they have to be an individual strand like (1) 18 guage wire?

Would sodering them at the speaker be better rather than connect to existing speaker wire?

·
Premium Member
9,234 Posts
Machinebike said:
If (2) 22 guage wires were used for one speaker, would that increase sound quality or do they have to be an individual strand like (1) 18 guage wire?
Most likely, especially if you're running a short length of wire, one larger gauge strand vs. two smaller ga. strands won't make a difference.

Would so[l]dering them at the speaker be better rather than connect to existing speaker wire?
Huh?! :confused: Why do you have wire soldered to your speakers at all?

Or...are you trying to re-use some home-theater-in-a-box (HTiB) style of speakers? Regardless, it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. The important thing is that you make a good connection, whether at the speaker or where two wires join.

·
Registered
233 Posts
machinebike, welcome to the forum. Provide us with more details so that the responses would be better targeted to your specific questions. If in doubt, photos would be even better.

Generally, "more" wire to the speaker from the receiver or amplifier is good. I don't see any problem connecting two 22 ga. wires together. But I don't think you'll save much compared to buying 16 ga. wire which is the "minimum" that most people in the forum would probably recommend.

Hence, forget about soldering two sets of wires together and just go to HD, kijiji, Salvation army, etc. for 16 ga.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After looking at the site, Im wondering if lamp wire bought at home deopt thats cheaper by the foot would be fine?

What about 14 guage SOLID copper wire....any difference with solid wire?:confused:

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Speakers..DC current to AC current?

or...AC current to DC current?

Car speakers in the house.....If alternating current causes the back and forth pulse of the diafram(?) then how or if a car speaker work with direct current not vibrating the diafram?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Car speakers in the house
Car speakers are exactly the same as 'house' speakers!

'All' amplifiers operate on DC power - the AC mains in your house are converted to DC in the amplifier power supply. 'Car' amplifiers do not need such a power supply - the car battery already supplies DC power.

All amplifiers send an AC (audio) output signal to the speakers to cause the speaker diaphram to move.

Recommend visiting your public library to learn about 'audio' and 'electronics' from the many fine books available there.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cavu..
Amp in house takes in AC and converts to DC then to AC in the speakers?

Im wondering why car/house speakers advertised differently other than weather resistant?

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
They are different. Car speakers are typically:

- different impedance
- designed for vibration and other "hostile" environments - like cold, damp, etc.
- designed for placement in a specific "enclosure" - like a door or trunk or dash.
- they are really "drivers" not speakers, since they don't typically have an enclosure like a home speaker.

- home speakers are typically drivers already in a specific enclosure.

There are lots of differences.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sensitivity in Speakers...

What is sensitivity measured by and how can it be determined which speaker will sound more "crisp" concerning voices?

·
Registered
56 Posts
When all the math is done, only your ears can tell you what sounds best to you....

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Help, (2) 4 ohm speakers...wired for 8 ohms

Im a little confused looking at charts.

I have a a/v sony dvd player/receiver and for the center speaker, I used two micro system speakers by phillips and the sound is awesome but Im wondering if the ohms are too low and maybe thats why they are sounding surprisingly well before they blow out.

I used the center speaker connection from receiever with one wire branching off to two wires connected individually to the speakers (my guess is parallel).

Or should they be wired the other way (cant remeber what its called):confused:

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The average reciever 8 ohms for all speakers or...?

I have a sony 5.1 assuming 8 ohms but what I am not understanding is it 8 ohms for ALL speakers or 8 ohms per speaker?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.