Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some guidance on a speaker package to hook up to a Yamaha HTR4063/RXV467 (same machine different stores), I have decided on the Yamaha since the reviews are half decent I was considering the Denon AV-591 (I'm a current Denon "stereo" Customer...don't laugh)but there seems to be issues of setup and learning curve on the 591. I can get the Yahama for about $400 at FS.

My budget is around $400-500 for the speaker package and I have been looking at the Klipsch HD Theater 300 as a possibility. Currently on sale at FS for $300.

But I'm also looking at just buying a Yamaha HTIB YHTB4670 which contains the RXV467 for the same combined price ($700) as above instead of separate pieces.

I know you guys don't like HTIB, and would appreciate any guidance you can give me for a $700-800 budget for receiver and speaker package.

·
Registered
116 Posts
have you considered buying used? Do you have a deadline in mind? With Boxing Day just over a month away, you may be able to find a better deal.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
sorry guys, perhaps this should be in the deals section. simply indicating to the OP, there are very good buys available.

the Denon AVR 890 is on final clearance for $ 499 @ FS. sold out online, maybe still available at your local store (as is the case in my area). check it out.

PSB Alpha, Polk RTiA1 speaker systems should be on your list too, i think they may be within your budget.

buying used is an option i agree on with Blue11, buying used from classified such as Canuck Audio Mart (CAM) is a great way to save on very good HT-stereo gear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies guys. As you will see I am a rookie to the forum, so if I posted to the wrong thread please forgive me.

I will check the Denon AV-891 at my local FS to see if it is available. I assume by your recomondation this is a product worth looking at.

I will also research the PSB Alpha, Polk RTiA1 speaker systems.

Lastly I would consider used on the receiver, but not the speakers. I will have a look at CAM to get an idea of pricing.

My timeline is not urgent, but was being driven by the prices I was seeing at FS for the items mentioned.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Denon AVR 890 (not the 891). FS website offers a feature allowing users to check in store inventory from home.

I assume this web feature is reliable, current etc

Best Buy probably carries denon too, same scenerio re: clearance

The 890's msrp was $ 899 - $ 999 (min)

regardless, this thread should be focused on speaker packages, seems i have sidetracked alittle. other's (including myself) can lend a hand re: your AVR also, in the A/V Receivers and Amplifiers forum.

keep checking back with questions if you like

·
Registered
116 Posts
If time isn't a big issue, check out other stores for deals during Christmas. A few years ago I got an incredible deal on the receiver and speaker set up for about the same price you are looking to spend. the speakers were the Paradigm Cinema 110 package.

I would also advise you to listen to your options before making a decision. When I was looking for a set up a few years ago I listened to the Polk RM series, Energy Take 5 and C-50, Klipsch HD, PSB LCR, and Paradigm Cinema 110. Overall I enjoyed the Paradigm set up best. And it came with a 10"sub (one of the few from the ones I auditioned that did).

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
i had the paradigm cinema 110's and the 220's. decent enough, i liked them, but plastic containment didn't do it for me ultimately, verses the acoustic properties of wood housing. having moved to studio series however, there's no comparison.

keep an eye out for deals on RTi series (RTiA1's for example) .. PSB Alpha's ...
Mini Threatre or Studio Threatre .. (i was thinking primarily the PSB B1 Monitors) .. i do think both are out of your budget currently for surround packages, but that could change. FS really blow out select speakers during boxing week. (i STILL think i should have bought those RTiA10's for the ridiculous low price @ the time)

I just think that the above mentioned are quite better for reasonable more $$ .. than the $ 399 packages. i would rather pay $ 600 - $ 700 for very good .. than $ 399 for marginal. dampen that .."what if" factor somewhat anyways.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for the advise guys, I think I will listen to every option I can before buying.

One last question, I just found a Polk RM6750 package, paired with a Yamaha HTR4630. The normal price for the RM pacjake is $599, but paired with the 4630 they are selling at $699 total. So basically they are throwing in the HTR for $100. Any thoughts on this speaker package?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
My timeline is not urgent, but was being driven by the prices I was seeing at FS for the items mentioned.
The closer we get to Xmas, the better deals you will be offered and this should allow you to get a better bang for your buck meaning getting half decent speakers at near te price of HTIB.

If you already had a good knowledge of speaker products, online purchase could provide substantial savings IE: "newegg dot ca" comes to mind. When talking about Polk RTiA, IMO the Monitor series offers a better bang for the buck. Quite comparable SQ wise but you can get a better performer in the Monitor series for the same dollards spent.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Quite comparable SQ wise but you can get a better performer in the Monitor series
that 2 way monitor 40 series II looks awesome in cherry. nicely done, design, rear porting, paired binding posts. i don't think they're 5-way though, as described .. doesn't look like you can use banana plugs. can't see any holes on top of posts, not that it matters. clever little line up.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
that 2 way monitor 40 series II looks awesome in cherry. nicely done, design, rear porting, paired binding posts.
A nice pair of M70s towers for the front and a pair of M40s for your rears and you got it made ;)

For music listening, the M70s can be used without sub back-up which I much prefer for music.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TECHNOKID,

You bring up a great possibility for me...

If I was to reuse my Celestion Ditton 33's (in excellent condition) as the front's, and a pair of M40 II's (in the nice cherry finish that would match the 33's finish) for the rears would that be enough, or would I still need a Center and a sub? The Ditton 33's have fanastic base anyway?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
If I was to reuse my Celestion Ditton 33's (in excellent condition) as the front's, and a pair of M40 II's (in the nice cherry finish that would match the 33's finish) for the rears would that be enough, or would I still need a Center and a sub? The Ditton 33's have fanastic base anyway?
If you like them, why not. They go down in the low end to about 25hz so this is not that bad (some stand alone sub don't go that much lower). You would have to set them full range... As far as center goes, you would have to strategically place your speakers in order to create a phantom center. Below are some pros and cons for a phantom center:

I tried my Gallos w/ a LSiC for a few months after I sold off the rest of the LSis. I eventually tried a phantom center and much preferred it. Fast forward a year, I bought the matching Gallo Center and tried that for a week and liked it, but when I went back to phantom center it had to go. Therefore I have gone from a center to phantom and back.

PROS:

1. Sound quality. With properly setup fronts you can get much better imaging and panning with a phantom center. Most have a center above or below the screen. This causes panning from L-C-R to go from ear level, up/down a couple feet, then back to ear level, very unnatural. With a phantom center the sound stays exactly ear level, so now it it centered around the tv not only horizontally but vertically to, adding realism.

2. Cost. You can sell of your center+amp+wires. For your situation just the 9+wiring.

3. WAF. IMO and a TV looks much better alone on a stand, plus it is less distracting when watching a movie. Not to mention less cables so less mess.

CONS:

1. Hass Effect: If you have a center channel it doesn't matter where you sit, the sounds come from the center, but with no center things get tricky. If you sit closer to one speaker the sound actually pulls to that side, so the sweetspot is smaller for a phantom center.

2. DRC: Some receivers have DRC that automatically kicks in when you drop below 5.1. In some cases it is not deflatable, so using a phantom center would cause a loss in dynamic range.

3. "Gelling": Some have issues with peaks using a phantom center where everything gels together. It is generally with hard to drive receivers being run of rcvrs. With L/R it isn't as much of an issue, because the sound is still localizable, but with a phantom center it can cause the center image to fall apart.

CONCLUSION:

I use a phantom center mainly for the gains in sound quality, and with my listening area I don't hit any of the pit falls. My advice to you would be to try it for 1 week. Don't cheat, don't go back to using a center even if you hate how it sounds. Then after that week try using the center again. You might be surprised, it is a very different sound.
This kind of set-up will not be as efficient as a full 5.1 system but it is a good way to start slowly when you are on a budget and you can add later on as money is available. If a good percentage of your listening is music, this may actually be an advantage to you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts