Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my backer boxes made out of 1/2 " MDF, 14'x10"x5 3/4" for some in-ceiling speakers. What type of acoustic insulation or batt should I use? I'm thinking about using Roxul or JM, anybody have any other suggestions, besides using Green Glue. Don't have access to this product.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Don't use fiberglass, find polyester fiberfill, it should be available at fabric stores I think it's used to fill pillows or cushion furniture.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fibreglass

Why not fiberglass? What about a product like JM, which is formaldehyde free, How much should be used?Where?Back? Side(s)?

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Will you be setting your receiver speaker setting to Small for your ceiling speakers ?

I assume that the measurement of 5 3/4" is the depth of the enclosure ?

Usually all inside surfaces except the baffle are covered with insulation, but due the shallow dept of the enclosures you've made, I'd think 3 1/2" (R12) on the back panel would suffice.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Speakercraft

Thinking about purchasing Speakercraft Aim7 2's for in-ceiling speakers. Spoke to Speakercraft Tech who said their speaker enclosures where those measurements. Including the drywall will give me a depth of 6 3/4 ". 5 3/4" depth + 1/2' flange on top and 1/2" drywall sealed with Acousti-seal and then fastened to drywall with screws. Have a Yamaha Htr-6190 as my receiver, it's been in storage for 8 months, will have to check the settings.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Speakercraft Response

Here's the reply I got, " In our own backboxes we install fiberglass insulation, however any dense sound absorbing material will work. Let me know if you have any other questions."

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Fiberglass works but I wouldn't use it in ported enclosures. I've done so in the past but health and safety standards are a lot tighter now.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There' a product that is made by JM, that is formaldehyde-free that I have. Should I just put the insulation all around or just on the bottom(top when installed)?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts