Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, a Starz television series which premieres in the United Staes on January 21st, will debut in Canada two nights later on The Movie Network and Movie Central.

The graphic series is billed as a six-part prequel to Spartacus: Blood and Sand which aired last winter

The series follows the character Gannicus (Dustin Clare), the first gladiator to become Champion of Capua. Cast members and characters being reprised from the original series include Lucy Lawless as Lucretia, John Hannah as Batiatus, Peter Mensah as Oenomaus, and Manu Bennett as Crixus. Andy Whitfield will make a brief appearance as Spartacus.

Spartacus: Gods of the Arena will premiere Sunday, January 23 at 10 p.m. ET on The Movie Network and 10 p.m. MT on Movie Central.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Beginning Saturday, January 22, The Movie Network and Movie Central will also offer a free, two-week online sampling of the premiere episode on their respective website.

·
Banned
262 Posts
Looking forward to this. Very much enjoyed the first season. I think I'll prep by rewatching I, Claudius on DVD. Been awhile, and that still ranks as one of my all-time favourite series. :cool:

·
Registered
547 Posts
IMO, this prequel is a great idea. The original series started with incredible (almost laughable) hyperbole, but then became a very tense and gritty series, with compelling storytelling. Here's to more Spartacus, prequels or sequels.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
They are thinking of making a Season Two, but it probably will be with a different actor as Spartacus.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Pardon my ignorance but what's up with Andy Whitfield?
I thoroughly enjoyed the debut season of Spartacus and was looking forward to Season Two. But now, it's to be a Pre-quel?

I dunno?!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
He's fighting a very serious form of Cancer, lymphoma. I haven't heard recently how he is making out.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
After the first round of treatment they said it was in remission. Subsequently it seems to have reappeared. That was when he dropped out and urged the producers to continue on with a new lead for the sake of all the actors, writers, and production staff.

Last I read was that Aussie actor Liam McIntyre was in contention for the role, and that Dominic Purcell (Linc from Prison Break) has just read for the part as well.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Thanks for the update. Mixed emotions, for sure. Whitfield did a great job, so McIntyre has some big shoes (sandals) to fill. I am glad that we will get to pick up the story after the escape of Spartacus.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Episode 1

Loved it! Wow, episode one got me right back into the energy and tension of this fantastic show. My heart was pounding at the end scenes! Too bad they're are only six episodes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts