Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently reorganizing the coax cabling for my Bell 9200 PVR that only operates as an OTA PVR. When I re-connected the coax to the OTA antenna (non-powered antenna) the centre conductor sparked. This was easily repeated. I grabbed my meter and it shows 13.4VDC on the STB OTA antenna coax input. Is this normal? I don't know much about this STB but the OTA coax input is connected directly to the UHF antenna. No pre-amps no splitters. I do have a powered pre-amp I was considering installing as well. Depending on the answer I may reconsider. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
All Bell satellite receivers and PVRs have an output voltage to power and operate LNBs and switches. A coax line voltage of 13-20 volts is normal. Bell satellite receivers and power inserters should be unplugged when working on coax to prevent damage to receivers and equipment. The voltage could be an issue with line powered devices such as antenna preamps but devices like preamp power inserters usually have a DC block between the receiver and the preamp power.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
agree there should not be any DC voltage on that port of the rcvr.
Double check yourself with the manual though.

specifically make sure your OTA antenna is this port...
Code:
Connect an off-air antenna to this port using a coaxial cable to
enable TV1 to receive digital and analog broadcasts from your offair antenna.
You can also connect analog cable service to this port for display on TV1.
The 8VSB TV ANTENNA/CABLE IN port is colour coded black.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
The other possibility is that there is a lack of grounding, wiring fault or ground loop somewhere in the setup. These would generally create a small voltage differential that could result in a small arc. It's not usually a concern. A hard wiring fault such as a hot ground could cause a large arc and could be dangerous but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

·
Super Moderator
11,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK guys thanks for the replies. I will look into it a bit further. Sorry I did not reply sooner. I did not receive any notifications. It still does not show up in my alerts for some reason.

Anyway, I don't think it is a wiring or ground issue. The voltage is definitely DC not AC. And it seems odd that it is so close 12VDC on the other inputs. It is almost as if the OTA input is switched and it is acting as a second SAT input.

I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've seen voltage on the Satellite input ports but never on the Antenna (Over The Air) input port.
I saw your post about this so maybe I can ask you a question that I can't find an answer to. One of my coaxial inputs on 9241 is broken, The coax wire is broken inside, the wire fused in there. Is it possible that was a surge and voltage fried it? Are those ports replaceable?

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Those ports can be replaced. I've seen inside the 9241 / 9242 before but let me tell you, even me who has worked with microelectronics in the past I would rather pay someone to do it for me as it looks like the coax connector is part of some self contained module with shielding. I would rather have the entire module on the board de-soldered and replaced with a doner part from a scrap board.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Those ports can be replaced. I've seen inside the 9241 / 9242 before but let me tell you, even me who has worked with microelectronics in the past I would rather pay someone to do it for me as it looks like the coax connector is part of some self contained module with shielding. I would rather have the entire module on the board de-soldered and replaced with a doner part from a scrap board.
thanks for the input!
I agree, something I may not want to do but I am not sure who is left in my city to do this. There were few good electronic repair places but they are all gone now, they all retired and no one else replaced them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts