Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Unfortunately, there will be pretty much zero change to what we currently see. They can't exactly go after sources not in Canada, so it's pretty much pointless

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
From my understanding this does not pertain to bloatware? Like when you buy a new computer and it has 30 programs preinstalled or trials?

Will this prevent for example a program also installing an unwanted internet toolbar?

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
This is pretty much a useless piece of legislation for the internet. Even if other countries pass similar laws and sign treaties, spammers and spyware makers will just find a country with no such rules.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not necessarily?

If a spyware or "Ad Ware" is put on you computer without your consent you can sue that Ad IE Ford, GM Guess Jeans etc.

They where aware of the law in Canada even though they maybe from outside the country they still are advertising in Canada regardless where their "AD Firm" is located.You may not be able to sue the "AD Firm" but you can sue the product.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have found that most if not all malware is installed with your consent but not your awareness.

Malware is almost always installed as a user selected choice (they clicked on it).
BUT they are rarely aware of all the attached software that they inadvertently downloaded.

This legislation may lay some groundwork for future enforcement but it does nothing today unfortunately.

EC

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah this sounds great but nothing is going to happen really. You can't regulate 'spammers'. These guys will find one way or another to infect your computer with their crappiness. Just invest into a decent anti-virus / anti-spywayre program. Or just get a mac ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Its like the Do Not Call legistlation passed in Canada.
Absolutely pointless P.O.S. government morons doing this.
I bought a call blocker instead.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
See what a suit would cost. Just the bureaucrats proving that they are working for us, even if it is useless with no results. They can still brag that they implemented something for our protection.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts