Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply Bell had dropped WGN, but rather that they already had it as an HD channel.

It's true many Bell HD channels are downconverted -- either by Bell or by the supplier before sending it to ExpressVu.

But before we get our shirts in a knot, it remains to be demonstrated that the final PQ is worse. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't.

Don't get me wrong: I want the best PQ I can get on my shiny new HD set. If I plug in an HD DVD and am startled to discover that the SAME movie on TMN/MC looks marked worse, or isn't in 5.1 Dolby, etc., I'm going to be at the front of the line demanding to know if it is the cable/satellite operator, or the cheap-a$$ movie network, east or west, figuring that "no one will notice".

I bought a 1080i set and expect to get the resolution from my cableco. They, like my satellite company if I had one, would have a LOT of explaining to do if everything arrives in "HD-Lite". I will be watching the Telco TV, when it arrives in my neighbourhood, for assurance that its HD is REAL HD ...!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I bought a 1080i set ...
Slightly off-topic, but what do you mean by this? I've got a CRT-RPTV, and it claims to be able to display 1080 scan lines, so that would make it a 1080i set. Is that what you have? The fixed-pixel sets are, inherently, progressive, and if they have 1080 native resolution then they will display a 1080p picture (even if they cannot receive a 1080p signal; they'll simply de-interlace 1080i).

I've seen quite a few sets that can accept a 1080p signal but the panels has 768 as the native resolution. I believe some people are buying those sets thinking they are getting a better picture than their friends whose sets only accept 1080i.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Space Channel HD?

Anyboby heard about space channel going HD?
Don't tell me I'll have to watch Battlestar galactica in SD next April....:eek:

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I hope someone here knows cos man oh man, this is one of the channels I've been waiting for. Hopefully it'll be soon -- so many great shows on that one channel! And wouldn't it be cool if they get the "upgraded" Star Trek: The Original Series in HD?!

cheers,
supervij

·
Registered
106 Posts
Never heard anything about this so far except wishful thinking but definately add me to the list of people who can't wait for Space in HD.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
A few weeks ago I posted this in the BEV thread for new channels. For those who didn't see it there here is the reply when I asked Space about HD broadcasts:

"Thanks for writing ...
Broadcasting in HD is currently being discussed at the SPACE channel but there is not set timeframe on when this will occur. Many of our programs are filmed in HD, and this is something the SPACE channel would like to take full advantage of."

On posting this some readers took it to mean Space HD was imminent. I take it to mean that we still have some time to wait.

PS: I too want to see the remastered Star Trek in HD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Space Channel Ad on CBC in HD

Wathing CBC in HD tonight and saw an ad for Space Channel. The ad was in HD and had HD clips from shows and movies. Any news on Space going HD soon. The ad said nothing about HD. Why would they produce an ad in HD if they aren't going to broadcast?
I HAVE NO INFORMATION OTHER THAN SEEING THIS AD ON CBC.

Phil

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Space often has letterbox wide screen shows. It's not hard for them to make a HD ad from their shows. I'd also like to see the History channel in HD and also TVO.

·
Registered
606 Posts
CTV paying for ads for one of it's channels on the CBC? Guess we know what CBC got in return for supporting FFC...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wow. I'm on a business trip in the US and I went on hulu.com ... watched the pilot episode of Caprica. Plugged my laptop's VGA output to the room's 32'' LCD tv.

Picture quality was not as good as cable HD but was much better than the Space Channel in SD. When I get back I'll work to find a solution to watching hulu from Canada. Caprica would have been the only reason to tune on Space Channel SD.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Stefx,

google "Hotspot Shield" and you'll have a free solution to watching Hulu here in Canada.

It's not perfect, but it's the easiest method I've heard of for watching online American programming.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Space Channel Ad on CBC in HD

I think ctv has one team or person producing all promo clips and ads for all of its channels, so it only makes sense that he/she makes them all in HD to start with, then when they are aired, they do get to be in HD on CTV's HD channels, and downconverted to SD for those channels that are only in SD.

Also, who ever said that the advertised product always must be as good as shown in the commercial. This is nothing new. Very often commercials show very dreamy things/products, but when you buy them, they often just turn out to be piece of crap.

21 - 40 of 234 Posts