Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Haven't had any G devices for some time. Never had B devices since everything was wired until G came along. I have my router protocols set to auto. The N devices are on the 2.4GHz band. The AC devices are on the 5GHz band. That should cover it. ;)

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
I have my router protocols set to auto.
If all your 2.4 GHz devices are capable of N, then you should disable G. Otherwise, the headers will be sent as G, with the data sent at N. However, this is a minor slowdown, compared to the hit B causes. Many years ago, I had a notebook computer that came with B only. I then replaced the WiFi card (losing the dial up modem in the process) to get G. Shortly after, the Mississauga library stopped allowing B.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Thanks. The 2.4GHz choices are Auto, N only or Legacy. Changed it to N only. The 5GHz choices are Auto, N/AC mixed, N only or Legacy. Changed that to N/AC mixed. The defaults are Auto.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry for digging up and old thread but I wondered if anyone had any updates about Source Cable. Unfortunately I'm in a location where Source cable is the only service provider and despite having a fiber line right into the house the service is terrible.
I feel like I'm stuck in some kind of limbo where the Source cable people are like 'pfff we just sell the Rogers product so if its not very good there's nothing we can do about it' and Rogers won't talk to me because I'm not a 'Rogers customer' and I'm stuck with a terrible connection. Dealing with Source Cable tech support has been pretty painful and I'm getting nowhere trying to troubleshoot my latency issues.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Rogers phasing out Source Cable service

Source Cable customers will see their service come to an end as Rogers, which acquired the Hamilton-based cable provider in 2014, is poised to phase it out.
In a memo sent to clients this week, called “Action required: Your Source Cable service will soon be decommissioned,” Rogers is inviting customers to “upgrade” to its Ignite TV package by mid-May to avoid a gap in service.
Rogers bought Source Cable in a $160-million deal in 2014, adding 60,000 customers in Hamilton at the time. Source was the last independent cable provider in Hamilton to be sold to a telecom giant, following the sale of Mountain Cable to Shaw in 2009. Shaw sold it to Rogers in 2013.

“We want to offer all of our customers the best TV experience, including the use of easy navigational features such as the voice remote and access to streaming services all in one place, so we are rolling out Ignite TV to more customers as we continue to move from our older services to our enhanced Ignite platform,” said Rogers spokesperson Zac Carreiro in an email.

Older digital TV bundles have not been available to new customers since 2019, in favour of new services including personalized viewing recommendations and apps.
And there it is....Source Cable is now about to completely disappear from Hamilton.

It's probably what's been coming for a while, but still a bit sad to see that banner leave.

o.o

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well finally. Trust me, as a current customer there is no sadness here.
Unfortunately there is no mention of internet service in this announcement. Typically they are only interested in selling their overpriced TV product that no one wants anymore.
I received no such notification from them this week either. The Rogers website still shows 'no service available in your area' so that's no help either.

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
@fourspoons

They're now pushing Ignite TV, which runs over IP. This means they will need decent Internet connections to customers. When I switched to IPTV, my Internet connection went from 75/10 to 500/20

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I still have no information from them what's going on for internet only customers. They haven't replied to my emails and no one at Rogers knows what Source Cable is, or is able to tell me what service is going to be available in my area.
So it seems like any semblance of planning or communication was not a consideration.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
So it seems like any semblance of planning or communication was not a consideration.
Something must be up with your address specifically. Everyone I know was able to successfully switch over to Rogers Ignite Internet or Rogers Ignite TV + Internet. My parents were moved to Rogers about 2 years ago. I just moved in late-April as bulk tv customers were not able to switch until Mid-April of this year. There is a handful of fibre to the home addresses. It's possible those addresses are not eligible to switch yet. Has Source customer support not been able to answer why Rogers can't set you up? I know when my parents switched 2 years ago, I had them check my address and they said I couldn't due to bulk TV contract.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Something must be up with your address specifically. Everyone I know was able to successfully switch over to Rogers Ignite Internet or Rogers Ignite TV + Internet. My parents were moved to Rogers about 2 years ago. I just moved in late-April as bulk tv customers were not able to switch until Mid-April of this year. There is a handful of fibre to the home addresses. It's possible those addresses are not eligible to switch yet. Has Source customer support not been able to answer why Rogers can't set you up? I know when my parents switched 2 years ago, I had them check my address and they said I couldn't due to bulk TV contract.
I guess we must be one of those addresses. We do have fibre to the home. I can get 500/20 and it's all on Rogers already so I don't really understand why I can't just become a Rogers customer.
It's a Rogers modem on Rogers backend infrastructure installed by a Rogers engineer but if I call Rogers they act like they don't service my address?

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Yeah, if you're able to get in touch with a manager at Source Cable, they might be able to shed light on your address situation. It might be they aren't moving those customers yet. The Spec article from back in April was likely being presumptive in their reporting. I'm pretty sure it was only bulk TV customers that got that letter to switch by May 15th. I'm not sure if non bulk TV customers got that final letter. There is nothing on their website to indicate they are fully winding down operations. Also from conversations I had with Source Cable late last year, they were still targeting Internet + TV customers to switch. Not sure where Internet only customers are on that migration plan (I think you mentioned you're also Internet only).

61 - 72 of 72 Posts