Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this ...

I have a Bell 9242 satellite receiver connected to a Yamaha V659 stereo receiver with a Monster digital optical cable. From there, the sound is outputed through a Bose Accoustimass 5 speaker system.

Normally, the sound comes out like a normal 5.1 system with most sound coming out of the center channel speaker. However, there are times when I'm flipping channels when the sound drops off. No sound comes out of the center channel- the sound comes out of the front channel speakers (sometimes sound only comes out the right front). Furthermore, sometimes you can't hear the main speaking voice at all (only background noise). Sometimes, I can correct the problem by turning off the Yamaha and turning it back on again.

I don't tend to have the problem when watching network TV shows and movies. It seems to happen a lot when watching baseball on RSN and the MLB Extra Innings channels. My kids have also said it happens when watching YTV and other kids channels.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this? I switched out the optical cable for another one, and the problem persists. Therefore, I don't think it's the cable.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
Well, it could be an issue with your equipment. If turning the AVR off/on resolves a problem, then it could be an issue with the AVR, or an improper setting in the AVR depending on your input signal, or sometimes even a slightly poor connection which "reconnects properly" when equipment is turned off/on. There may also be a poor connection to/from the Accoustimass module - AVR to module or module to speaker (if one speaker is not working properly)

Some channels are DD2.0, some are DD5.1 and some are improperly encoded DD5.1, where the audio comes out the LF & RF channels (CBC, PBS, sometimes others). For televised DD2.0 input signals, one should use DPLII to decode for a 5.1 speaker system. I've lost count of the number of homes I've entered where people are listening using the incorrect decoder. Here's the FAQ on the topic for more detailed explanations:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17870

Here's the "things to check" FAQ: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19694

Here's a useful post when you have time: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

You may wish to read up on Monster and Bose products on this forum for future reference...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recently experiencing sound loss from Center channel

I was reading some of the posts and realize that the issue I am now experiencing is not unique.

I have a Bell 9242 HD-PVR connected (via HDMI) to my Marantz SR7001 (with PSB Image speakers). Recently I have found that sound from the ceneter channel is missing from playback on some recordings and specifically, missing from channel 1256. The sound on most channels is fine but has recently become an issue where this previously didn't exist.
I have tried: resetting the PVR, unplugging the PVR for 30 seconds, reseating the cable, testing my receiver (which works perfect on all but the PVR - certain channels), etc.....

Appreciate some advice as to how to resolve.

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
There may not be any center channel sound from improperly encoded DD5.1 - read the first link FAQ in post 2. I'm not familiar with BTV channel numbers - 1256 means nothing to me - what's the network?

Then check out the 3rd link in post 2.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts