Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Not true Roxul is made of ground up rocks and wool which we all use to keep warm when it's cold out ( wool that is) and roxul comes up to r14 for 2x4 walls, pink does not and it is more dense to provide a better thermal break. As far as the fiberglass for soundproofing you could use the same example as they discussed a couple threads down from here regarding drop ceiling tiles. Painting them fills in the textured crevices designed for sound deadening. Take that and apply it to fiberglass insulation. It's less dense which provides more "pockets" if you will to dissipate sound.

Again this is just what I've researched either point could be argued.
You are confusing two different Roxul products; Roxul manufacturers "ComfortBatt" which is a thermal pink insulation replacement, and they make "Safe'N'Sound" which is a noise and fire barrier.

I believe ComfortBatt and Pink are comparable, it's a matter of preference -ComfortBatt is immensely easier to "load" into a framed wall as it is much more dense and tends to hold itself in there. The same goes for Safe'N'Sound, incidentally...

·
Registered
97 Posts
I guess I just assumed that the s&s was manufactured in the same way as the cb. But what I meant to compare is the s&s and the Owens corning quietzone.

S&s would be a pain in the ass if your floor joists have pipes/ wires in them as mine did. I found the downfall to Roxul when I used the comfort batt in a wall carrying pipes.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I have fiberglass in the ceiling of another room in the basement (used it only because it was removed from another area of the house, I had to do something with it) and I do find the safe n sound more effective at sound deadening. Did you use green glue, and if so, do you think it made much difference?
mct123,

I do not know if Green Glue made a difference or not. I did a lot of soundproofing, and GG was only 1 piece of the puzzle. This is my 1st HT room.

I can say this about my room.

Are you happy with your HT room?

Yes, it took a little longer to build, and maybe a couple thousand dollars more to build it the way I wanted it, but overall I am happy with it.

Are you sure it's worth the extra money?

For the couple thousand dollars extra it cost vs a standard room (my gaming TV was in a 'standard' basement room in my previous house), Then I would say yes. Heck, my 1st big screen TV (47" Panny RPTV)was $2300 plus tax, I bought it in 2003ish, sold it 4 yrs later for $400. This $2000 I spent on the HT room will last 10+ years.

Does your wife, or significant other tell you to turn it down?

Never. Ever.

Actually, that's not true. I like my movies loud. Being a guy, I'm predisposed to action movies, Sci Fi, shoot 'em ups. 2009 Star Trek among them, at "close to reference levels'. She will ask me to turn it down, it's louder than she likes, if she is watching it with me, but I can watch it at my normal levels when she's upstairs in the kitchen, surfing on the main floor, or sleeping in the bedrooms.

I finished the room in December 2008, and she's never asked me to turn down a movie, or COD from upstairs.

Biggest downside?

Maybe it's been detrimental to my hearing.... I'm approaching 40, and I hear fine, but sometimes, I wonder if my hearing's gotten worse, because i've got a home theater. My movie watching has gone down significantly.... Probably just one/two movies a month, not sure if it's enough to do damage or not.

P

·
Registered
42 Posts
#1 Fiberglass has a slight edge in the low frequencies. I suggest using whatever is least expensive.

#2 don't ever compress the insulation. Compression increases density, lowering low frequency absorption and increasing conduction.

#3 Regarding the performance of any particular soundproofing product, you could guess and rely on intuition, or simply look at the independent lab data.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts