Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a new issue with our hd mts. Recently on HD channels the sound will become intermittently muffled and basically we only get the surrounds. The center channel seems to cut out completely and you can barely hear any dialogue through the fronts.
The MTS guy came out while I wasn't home and he told my wife it was our hdmi cable so he replaced everything with component cables. It also looks like he hooked up both component to the reciever(2010-ish pioneer) DVD input and composite cables as well so there are two video hookups in parallel. The picture is TERRIBLE and we now don't have any 5.1 without HDMI and the HD is worse than SD. The picture is majorly pixelated and dull. He rewired everything and now it's crap. I will re wire it again tonight as I was home late last night and didn't have time to deal with it.

So two questions.
Who are these yahoos that they send out for service and why do they think we will pay for HD service? How can this guy actually leave things like that and call it "fixed". WTF?!?
And has anyone else experienced the muffled sound and cutting out or know what may be causing it?

Sorry bit of a rant, but thanks for any input.

·
Super Moderator
16,883 Posts
Does the centre channel cut out on all channels or just certain ones? I'm wondering if it's a problem with the source material.

You can use an optical audio cable for 5.1 surround sound with component video.

With most modern TVs you can calibrate each input separately, so you may just have to calibrate the component input on the TV. That should take care of the "dullness". The pixelated picture doesn't make sense for component though.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I used to have problems with muffled sound with my old receiver, it turned out to be a problem with the receiver when i replaced it the problem went away. You also might just want to check you speaker wire run from your receiver to the center channel that it is not cut and that you have a good connection on both ends.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's hard to really say what's cutting out where. It seems like the surrounds are working as normal, but the fronts and center are being muffled, to the point of the channel not being even remotely watchable.

The TV and box downstairs though don't appear to have this problem so it's not the source material.

And if there is a problem with the box or reciever I'd rather replace whichever it is rather than using component.

I'm wondering if the bad picture is because the MTS guy ran both component and composite video cables, for some unknown crazy reason. But again, that is easily fixed by obviously removing the composite cable. But again, doesn't really fix the problem.

I'll have to do some sleuthing with it tonight and see if I can narrow anything down a bit better.

Thanks for the quick replies thus far.

·
Super Moderator
16,883 Posts
Is your downstairs STB running a 5.1 audio system? If not, you're comparing 2.0 to 5.1.

It sounds like you aren't getting any sound from the centre channel at all when it cuts out. You should be able to check the 3 front speakers to see if anything is coming out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to update this thread, it looks like it might have just been the hdmi cable. I replaced it with the one running from our dvd player and no issues so far(knock on wood).
Yes, our downstairs set is also running 5.1 all through hdmi so I was comparing apples to apples.

I'm just not impressed at all with the MTS service who's solution was to hook everything up with composite and stereo rca audio cables. We're paying through the butt for HD and 5.1 and he swapped out all of our HDMI with the lowest grade audio/video you can get losing our hd and 5.1. Not to mention he totally screwed up everything so that you have to put the receiver on dvd to watch tv etc etc. That is terrible service.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll update again if the problem re-surfaces.

·
Registered
76 Posts
we are not there to set up your stereo or trouble shoot home theater systems. Paying through the butt for HD? what, 6 dollars? We are responsible for getting the signal to your home and to your tv location, if you want to run it through a surround sound system and its not working it is your responsibility, not MTS's. the guy came out and tried to get it going. they shouldn't have sent anyone. and then you turn around and call him a yahoo. i would have connected it directly to the tv with HDMI, anything over and above that is up to you. Call the geek squad next time you have problems with a home theater set up.

·
Registered
757 Posts
:eek: I might have said the same kind of thing, just a little more polite and professional...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mtsguy: That would have been fine if they told us to deal with it ourselves. That is what we have come to expect from MTS anyway. However, the guy they sent out said they have problems with the crappy hdmi cables(his words) they use that they provided and they installed. Replacing the HDMI cable would have been a good solution if that was what he thought the problem was as opposed to rewiring our entire system, which I would never have asked him to do had I been home, with composite and rca.
We called to inquire whether there was problem at your end to rule that out and they sent someone. That is not a fault on our part.
Not to mention when we first had the box installed it was also hooked up by your "professionals" with composite and rca. If we are paying for an HD box and to get hd service wouldn't it make sense to use cables that actually carry hd signal and possibly 5.1 sound since you yourselves are installing it? What really got me is that he insisted composite cables are HD cables. I argued with the guy until he eventually hooked up hdmi but he told me there would be no difference in sound or video. Now that's a quality service tech. To be clear, I'm not saying you yourself are a bad tech because I don't know. But I don't expect to be adamantly lied to and treated like a moron by someone trying to pull the wool over my eyes when installing their equipment.
I have no problems with home theater set up and clearly know a lot more than(some of) your techs. It is not our fault someone was sent out because we didn't request it. We just called to see if there was an known issue with sound lately so I can rule that out.
From your response it is pretty clear what kind of service you are accustomed to providing and what you think of your customers. And of course as any business should be run your attitude of "the customer is always wrong" mentality is just stellar. Despite the fact that we did nothing wrong as your paying customers.
Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
76 Posts
sorry for my rant, just tired of people expecting way too much. i always go over and above but sometimes people just want way to much. i have had people have home theatre systems in boxes and tell me i am hooking it up. that is what makes me mad. they dont even pay anything for an installation anymore yet they want 180%.

Composite and RCA are the same thing btw. I think you mean component and RCA, which will actually give you HD if you set up the STB properly.

Again
Sorry

·
Registered
757 Posts
I hear ya. I'd like to think my friendliness plays a role in not getting chewed out very often for those scenarios. Either that, or my fear of confrontation...heheh

Many people expect so much for free. I heard that things like extra LAN drops are way more expensive if done by a structured cabling co. It's frustrating when people say "I want one LAN here, one here, and one here" when they're only getting one as part of the installation.

As far as Component goes, supposedly it can give a softer, better looking picture sometimes versus HDMI. Maybe that's because it's not digital, so it's not being displayed in blocks or however its described.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No problem. Sorry for my rant too. But no, what I meant was that he used a composite (yellow rca cable) for video and the red/white rca for audio and hooked them up from the mts box to the dvd inputs of our reciever. But he also ran component video cables from the mts box to the dvd input of the reciever. So he had two different sets of video cables running from the outputs of the mts box to the same inputs of the receiver. Judging by the picture which was absolutely horrible they conflicted with each other. Not surprising. The picture literally looked like the graphics from the original atari game system. Everything was blocky, not pixelated, but blocky.
But again, we didn't expect or ask to have someone come down.
And I'm sure you guys do put up with your share of abuse. Sorry if I came off like one of those people and sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
757 Posts
No, i understand where you're coming from. It is odd that it was hooked up like that. Hopefully the installer will get better by learning from their mistakes.

Cheers!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts