Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the Sony HT-CT150 3.1 soundbar (with built-in receiver) over the holidays given the sale price ($250) which is attractive. It works fine, but realize now that it is a bit small for the family room (12x16ft). It passed the wife factor, so need to keep it.

Now, the same family room does have 2 in-ceiling speakers driven by another more powerful amp (which easily fills the room). Both of these in-wall speakers are rated 8 ohms.

So, I was thinking of connecting the centre channel of the sound bar to the in-ceiling speakers for more room-filling sounds (especially for music). The sound bar is rated 4ohms, and each of the L/C/R speaker in it are also rated 4 ohms. So, if I connect the in-ceiling speakers (8ohms) in parallel to the centre channel speaker out, that should be 4 ohms - both playing centre channel only. I realize that I will likely have to increase centre volume channel to provide more current to in-ceiling speakers to get decent volume.

Does above make sense? Will it blow out the Sony amp (or my in-ceiling speakers, which go through an impedance matching volume control as well)? In the ideal scenario, I would have liked to simply taken audio out of Sony sound bar and plug into another amp that drives the in-ceiling speakers, but unfortunately, this Sony sound bar doesn't have an audio out.

Edit: don't expect to be playing at more than 75% max volume and speakers can easily handle the wattage.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Yikes. If you think it'll work, go for it. But these products really aren't designed for expansion. You'd be much, much better off getting a dedicated A/V receiver, 3 speakers (L&R + centre channel) and wiring the ceiling speakers as rear surrounds...but that also depends on where your ceiling speakers are located in relation to your seating area.

The other problem with using additional speakers for the centre channel, is this channel is where 95% of the dialogue comes from (not to mention almost everything else!). If you have voices coming from all different directions, it's not going to sound very good for movies/TV/some video games. Music won't be as much of an issue.

Just some things to consider before wiring everything together...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts