Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read about the Sony XDR-F1HD Tuner and it looks like it might be a good way to modernize my home theatre for HD Radio reception from the U.S. for low bucks.

The only knock seems to be that it outputs only via RCA R-L jacks. There are some competing models from Onkyo, Sangean, and others that are much more expensive and offer digital audio connections, but the Sony XDR-F1HD sure has a good price.

CD audio quality with no satellite subscription! :D

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Here's a video from Belgium displaying the Sony XDR-F1HD's amazing selectivity and sensitivity (at about 20 seconds he tunes it from 89.6 to 89.5 and then goes back and forth):

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Too bad there'd be no hope of getting any HD radio stations here in Calgary -- and the compressed-sounding nature of our FM stations would just make a high-quality tuner ineffective.

.......unless, this could be used with Cable FM as well.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Does Shaw still give you Cable FM in Calgary?

Regardless of the source, the superiority of this Sony tuner is audible according to the reviews linked earler.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Hmmm are their even any HD radio stations in Canada?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Thanks. Those posts are quite abit too technical for me. Can you sum it up in english. :p

I am in Vancouver. If I buy one of these will I be able to receive many channels from the US? I thought I had to be close enough to the station in order to receive?

thanks

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Awww okay so u do have to be in the proper area. I was getting all excited thinking I could get stations from across the US lol.

I guess I will stick with my iphone and wunderradio. :)

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
From the linked article in Post #3:
This $100 Sony is a fantastic bargain and appears to be just what the doctor ordered. Unfortunately I don’t have the RF test equipment for generating and measuring FM frequencies, but Brian Beezley does (go to http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/xdr-f1hd.htm). He and his associate Bob Smith, both of whom know what they’re talking about, report that the XDR-F1HD outperforms on the test bench every known tuner under the sun, regardless of price.
In case you have any technical questions about the Sony XDR-F1HD tuner I'm happy to mention that Brian is now a member here at our site (k6sti) so go ahead and post them here. :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
I hope Brian is subscribed because I'd prefer to have his reply help others too.

Question: I'm in Toronto, 3 miles to CN Tower (FM, TV analog, TV digital, etc.) and 80 miles to PBS FM-HD Buffalo antenna, all within a 10 degree arc, little Winegard 6000 antenna, and using that fabulous Sony tuner.

Is the Sony less susceptible to getting blasted by the strong local stations - as your review hints at? Or would it be helpful to have an FM bandpass filter (which was helpful in the past with FM-stereo and a big-gain yagi)?

If you'd recommend a bandpass filter, is there much difference between hooking up my ancient Finco 300-300 ohm outdoor filter and an indoor 75-75 ohm filter (aside from the big price difference)?

Sure is a fabulous tuner and also incredible is your full review write-up (and also thanks for all your antenna and other write-ups). Although "adaptive noise control" as found in the Sony is kind of an allergen to audiophiles, no question the Sony brings weak broadcast classical music into my house very acceptably.

Can't be long before other manufacturers will be using the Philips chipset that Sony is using. And adding needed user controls, fancy output modes, headphone jack, etc.

Thanks.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Unfortunately Brian hasn't been seen or heard from here in a very long time so don't count on him replying. Regarding filters and other signal gear, the FM Radio band makes use of most of the exact same devices as the VHF-LO TV band since they are side-by-side on the spectrum.

I love this little Sony XDR-F1HD tuner, and it seems to slightly outperform the HD Radio tuner in my Onkyo 876 AVR too.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Nice pics. Artistic too!

Don't forget folks, you need to keep that nice FM dipole antenna (and esp. the downlead) aware from metal surfaces (it isn't that shielded RG stuff). For the downlead, some masking tape can help keep it say a cm from metal cabinets or the signal will get drained some.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts