Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help!
My brand new Sony x90k is displaying a very annoying red trail during action sequences. It is very noticeable in high contrast scenes with horizontal movements. What could cause this? And anyway I can fix this or its a case of a return to shop? (that thing is huge and not an easy thing to transport back)

Martin

Sleeve Waist Tints and shades Sportswear Magenta

Horse Working animal Horse supplies Pack animal Landscape

Jaw Neck Gesture Happy Flash photography
Forehead Nose Mouth Beard Jaw
Sleeve Gesture T-shirt Fashion design Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
It could be caused by one of the TV's video enhancement features. I would try turning them off one at a time to find if one is causing the issue. Is the artifact there with all content such as HD, 4K, HDR, etc? I wouldn't rule out the video source as the issue. Either the device or the provider could be introducing artifacts. If it's still there with multiple resolutions, devices and providers then it's probably the set or one of it's features.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies.

I already turned off all tv video enhancements; this was the first thing I did when I setup the calibrations for movies. I only watch streaming sources (no cable tv). Most sources are 4K, although I noticed the problem on all sources. The red ghost trail is most visible on fast actions. It feels like what ever is responsible for handling the reds "lags" for one or two frames behind the other colors. After looking up more closely, I notived that it is ALWAYS lagging, but when images are static it is not really noticeable. However after closer inspection I can see it "ghosting" on skin tones of facial closeups. It is always lagging by a frame or two.

The problem NEVER shows on a paused video. Only during playback. Pausing on a fast sequence doesn't show a ghost trail. But the ghost trail will always show at that spot during playback.

I have never seen this problem before on another LCD screen.

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
I sounds like the fault is with the TV. I would first contact Sony and see if there is a known resolution. In any case, if the fault is not resolved quickly then return it within the return window.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll contact SONY and see what they say...
I'll come back to update on the info they give me. I hope I don't have to return the TV back to Costco... not only is this a BEAST to transport, but I don't have the box anymore....

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
I think Costco will arrange for pickup of large items. Not sure what the terms are. Another option may be to get Sony to service it under warranty. If it needs replacing then transportation is their problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I contacted Sony tech support. They took my description of the problem (the Rep called the problem "red ghosting"), had me restart the tv, and when the problem was still there after the restart they initiated a warrenty process. They requested I send visuals of the problem, which I now did. I'm now waiting for a call back within 36 hours. To be continued...

·
Super Moderator
11,374 Posts
Thanks for letting us know. Almost sounds like a bug or defect in the frame interpolation.
Doesn't Costco have a concierge service even if you didn't buy the extended warranty?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts