Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , usually just lurking. I am looking at a Sony X800E to replace my 13yr old Panasonic plasma that is getting a dark display .

What are opinions on this Sony ? I watch movies / documentary no gaming .

thank you , Jack

·
Registered
622 Posts
Funny you should ask, I just bought a new tv today after doing an EXTENSIVE amount of research to replace my 10 year old Panasonic plasma. I opted for a Samsung NU8000 and am I astounded by how good the picture is, blows my plasma away!

I looked at the Sony's but unless I was willing to go with a 900F it wasn't even close.

The Samsung is VA type panel where the Sony is IPS display. IPS are always less brilliant but offer a much wider viewing angle, so if you're planning on watching this at 25 degrees plus off center the Sony is a good tv.

I used the ratings site rting.com and found it VERY accurate to what I was seeing in the stores.

Here's a comparison between the 2 models:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/com...s-sony-x800e/586/435?usage=7318&threshold=0.1

Price wise they are similar, I found a better price at Visions Electronics vs Best Buy plus Visions offers a 2 year warranty which Best buy wouldn't match.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Watched an 4k HDR movie on Netflix (The 12th man) and was blown away buy how much better it looked than my plasma, not even in the same league.

·
Registered
622 Posts
What did you end up getting Jack?

It's a month since I got this tv and am still amazed at how better the picture is, the upscaling of SD and HD makes even some of those crappy subchannels from Buffalo and Erie quite wachable while making the HD channels look fantastic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts