Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sony this week announced updated versions of its Reader Pocket Edition and Reader Touch Edition eReaders for sale in Canada.

The Touch Edition (PRS-650 replaces model PRS600)features a six-inch full touch screen, 2 GB of onboard memory and comes in black, silver or red. In addition, it offers dual expansion slots for up to 32GB of additional memory, and the ability to play MP3 and AAC audio files.

The Touch Edition will go on sale on Sept 8th for $230 in the U.S. and $250 in Canada.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
The Pearl e-ink screen is a nice upgrade -- no doubt about that. And the Sony 650 has some extras -- a 6" screen, touch / stylus screen manipulation, built in dictionaries, etc. And it's $249.99.

The Kobo, with slightly older e-ink screen is $128 this weekend; it's also 6" and has access to all the content of the Sony, including public library content. Same size screen -- half the price.

And there is the Kindle 3 -- 6" Pearl screen, same two english dictionaries built-in, access to Amazon bookstore, wifi for content delivery and web access, US$139 + shipping ... call it around $160 Canadian ... or $80 or $90 less than the Sony PRS 650 which does NOT have wifi.

In Canada, Sony is the most expensive by quite a wide margin and delivers considerably less. If Kobo drops to $99 as many predict, you'll be able to buy a Kobo and a Kindle 3 for the price of the Sony ... and get much, much more capability.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
Purchased a Sony 650 for my wife. We had the following points, questions:

1. We had downloaded a book from the library to our computer a couple of days ago and installed Adobe Digital Editions. Problem was, the ADE didn't seem to "see" the Reader. We couldn't transfer the book to the reader. (We had opened the appropriate authorization accounts, the software just didn't seem to see the reader).

2. The book was still in our downloads folder and when we opened it in "Reader Library", the book was there and Reader Library "saw" the reader and it was then easy to transfer the book to the reader - weird that one software saw the reader just fine while the other didn't see it at all.

Bookmarks?

3. We were able to set "bookmarks" in the reader by double tapping the top right of the screen, however, there doesn't seem to be a way to navigate to the bookmark. Looked under "Go to", "history" etc, however, we found no way to navigate to a bookmark. The user guide index makes no mention of going to a bookmark, only creating one.... Same for the help pages on-line at Sony...

We could go to another book and the reader remembered the last page we were on, but what if we wanted to go to a specific bookmark? What if two people were using the same reader and one was on page 100 of the book and the other person was on page 200? The only way to go to where we were would be to remember our page and then go to that page. If anyone knows how to go to a bookmarked page (other than by turning pages until you see a bookmark), please advise.

We see no purpose of the bookmark if all it does it put a mark at the top right of a page.

I guess if you're sharing a reader, you want to be reading different books...

4. Also, there was a thread around here on "tips and tricks" for the Sony e-reader, but I can't seem to find it today - if anyone knows where it is, please advise. I was pretty sure I saw one a couple of days ago.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
Found the answer to item 3 - bookmarks. Click Options - Notes - List and it brings up the bookmarked pages. Um, why is this not under bookmarks or to be found in the user manual under bookmarks? It's under Notes!!!

Time to RTFM completely I guess...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts