Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sony's Video on Demand (VOD) service, called "Video on Demand by Qriocity", is now available in Canada.

"Video On Demand powered by Qriocity" started in Japan on January 26 and, in addition to Canada, is now available in the U.S., France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the U.K.

To gain access to Qriocity (pronounced as curiosity), users will require either an internet-enabled Bravia TV, Blu-ray Disc player, or Blu-ray Disc Home Theatre system.

Notable titles available at launch include "A-Team," "Get Him to the Greek," "Inception," "The Last Airbender," "Salt," and Disney-Pixar's "Toy Story 3."

Rental prices for High-Definition content will range from CA$4.99-5.99 while those for Standard-Definition content will range from CA$3.99-4.99. After renting a film, consumers have up to 30 days to start watching their movie, and once playback is started, they have up to 24 or 48 hours to watch the film as many times as they like.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Interesting enough. Given that I have a PS3 and (hopefully) having the vast Sony video content available I can certainly see some potential usefulness. How much non-Sony content that would be available will be interesting to see.

However with the whole Usage Based Billing hullabaloo (thank you Shaw) it will certainly impact how much I would use this type of service. It won't take long to reach that 60GB limit given the rest of our internet usage.

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
It certainly is a better deal than the cable companies $8 price I am seeing now. But I still don't understand it cost less for a BR rental than a streamed movie.

·
Registered
547 Posts
@Greg At Home: Can you confirm if 3D is available wi Qricocity via your PS3?

I can confirm that it is neither available via my Sony BDP S-570 nor via my 52HX909 TV. In another forum, someone mentioned a Sony rep indicated that 3D was only available via a PS3 or a Sony Bravia LCD. So far, fail on the TV piece.

·
Registered
42 Posts
@Sky Pilot: I'll check on the 3D content when I get home later and then post a reply. When I was browsing yesterday I didn't see any indication of 3D (e.g. select 3D movies, etc.), but I wasn't looking for it either. Since I don't have a 3D TV, its not something I'm specifically looking for.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The first post didn't mention the PS3 and there was no link to the story -- can we get confirmatio that it will be available on the PS3?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Alright so I created an account on the PC, activated my PS3, but now what? There doesn't seem to be any content. Do you have to put your credit card info in before it shows up lol! (that was about the only thing I didn't do)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not available at this time on the PS3. (I spoke to a PR rep at Sony asking that)

Having said that, you can download movies via the PS store.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
You can download movies from the PS store for rent? With a 30 day window to watch it?
This is a bit OT but here: (and it doesn't say the time specifics)

What is the PlayStation®Network Video Download Service?
Answer ID: 1100 Product: PlayStation®Network-Video Download Service

The PlayStation Network Video Download Service allows you to purchase videos to either rent or own. These videos can then be downloaded directly from the PlayStation®Store to a PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system or PSP® portable entertainment system.
Video Download Service offers access to movies, television shows, music videos, and other video content. Many titles are offered in both High Definition (HD) and Standard Definition (SD) resolution.
You may have issues accessing the Canadian Video store outside of Canada.

Video Download Service Options
To Rent
▼ Hide Details
Renting videos grants a temporary license to download and view videos. These videos can be viewed for specific amount of time, but once this time is over the license will expire and you won't be able to watch the video. If you wish to watch the video after the license has expired, just simply "rent" the video again. Pricing and size of the download will vary depending on the title, please refer to the PlayStation®Store for pricing information.

Click here to learn how to purchase videos to rent
Click here for the terms and guidelines for videos for rent on the PlayStation Network.
Click here for information on transferring rentals from the PlayStation Network.
To Own
▼ Hide Details
Purchasing videos to own is similar to buying a Blu-ray Disc™ or DVD copy of a movie, except with out the physical disc. Once you own a video, you are free to view the content as long as it exists on your PlayStation 3 or PSP system only if you log in to the same PlayStation Network account used to purchase the video. Pricing and size of the download will vary depending on the title, please refer to the PlayStation®Store for pricing information.

Source: http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=1100

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
547 Posts
Any update on 3D being available on Sony Canada's Qriocity?

Also, has anyone watched a movie yet? How's the resolution?

·
Registered
547 Posts
3D Qriocity Update!

Can now confirm that Sony Canada's Qriocity is carrying 3D movies... errr movie, as I could only find one right now: Piranha 3D. And it was listed under 'New Releases,' and not in a separate 3D genre category, which we don't have yet (our US friends do).

What's not clear is if it works? i.e., only on PS3, or certain TVs? I have a BDP-S570 and a 52HX909 so I will see. And what kind of 3D is it? Side-by-side, etc.? Don't know. Price was $6.99 per 3DHD movie. I'll maybe give it a whirl soon and report back.

Here's hoping for more 3D offerings soon!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Rented my first 3D movie w/ Qriocity Canada

Rented Piranha 3D HD via Sony's Qriocity service last night. Terrible movie, but that's not what this post's about! :)

First, I could not rent the movie via my BDP-S570, even though it shows up in the menu. I could only rent it via my 52HX909 TV, for which I use a wireless dongle, although I may connect it via a LAN cable next time I do this?

The image was actually pretty good! I saw no distortion in the movie presentation (say in comparison to when I would watch a Netflix move via my Wii. Uggh!). That said, I could not ascertain the feed, if it was 720p or 1080i etc. Also it was full screen 3d, not side-by-side or over-under. I watched via my Xpand 103 glasses.

It's a $1 more for 3D HD. I had some problems with streaming so I just let the movie play on for a while then I cycled back.

I will gladly due this again. Great 3D experience w/out the embellished price of buying a 3D Blu-ray. Right now, Piranha's their only 3D selection.

As a side note, with Netflix coming to Sony BDPs and TVs very soon, I am curious to see what the picture comparison will be? Again, I was quite pleased w/ picture quality via Qriocity.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guess its not working now too.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Qriocity accounts vulnerable to PSNetwork hacks?

Yep, the same problems caused by the PlayStation Network hacks are causing Qriosity to be down now while they try to restore it. I cannot find info on whether Qriocity accounts are also possibly vulnerable.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Updates on performance, selection?

Just wondering how this is working for people, and if anyone is using the Media Go software to stream movies to their PC?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts