Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend of mine has just purchased one of these cameras and his question to me was "How do I make or record HD onto a DVD" My reply was I don't know because there are no DVD recorders that have component input for HD recording. You will have to use the HD tape that comes with the camera and use the component input on your TV. Am I right or is there a way to record to a DVD in HD format. I would think that the new HD DVD players may be able to do it but even they may not have HD inputs for copyright reasons.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,460 Posts
If you are looking to be able to play HD off of a normal DVD player afterward then you are out of luck unless you want to down convert. In that case you have to transcode to mpeg2 and then use some DVD authoring software to burn it. Needless to say this takes a computer to acomplish.


What you can do though is take the movie off of the HD camera and burn it to a DVD as a data file. You could then open that file on a computer. If you have a HDTV output video card you could also run a cable from the video card to your TV.

You might find this page helpfull.
http://www.vasst.com/HDV/FX-1_images.htm

The M2T files that are available for download are the format that the camera saves in. They take a lot of computer to play.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,439 Posts
olderguy said:
Friend of mine has just purchased one of these cameras and his question to me was "How do I make or record HD onto a DVD" My reply was I don't know because there are no DVD recorders that have component input for HD recording. You will have to use the HD tape that comes with the camera and use the component input on your TV. Am I right or is there a way to record to a DVD in HD format. I would think that the new HD DVD players may be able to do it but even they may not have HD inputs for copyright reasons.
You can not do it, the standard DVD resolution is only 720x480i.which is SD not HD. He will have to wait for the Blu-Ray or HD DVD to take off next year, most tlikely. Untill then, like jvillan said you may archive your recordings on a PC on the hrddrive ( or save it on a DVD as a data file for later). You will be able to play it on the PC and if you have it conncetd with your bigscreen TV on the TV also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Isn't it possible to make the files WMV-HD or DIVX-HD? There are a few DVD players out there that can play these formats.

I'm assuming that all of this will also apply to the HDR-HC1 camcorder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts
I'm assuming that all of this will also apply to the HDR-HC1 camcorder.
Sure Will, and that's the big hold up right now lack of a suitable
HD- DVD recorder. Also you need a Very Stout PC to do any HDV
editing the recomended minimum system is a dual processor 3.0 Ghz
system, although I just did a bit with my Amd 3.0 single system,( tweeked
and very fast) it worked
but rendering even this small test was very time consuming ( a 5 min test
took over an Hour to process).
I did about a 5 min test using video shot from the HDR-HC1 last Thurs , rendered
as a highbitrate 480P DVD and then used my upconverting LG DVD player
to watch it. It defenitaly looked very nice and Crisp on My sammy DLP
Better then my normal SD DVD's upconverted that I get off my
Sony TVR33 but Still Not True HD quality, so I can't wait till all the pieces of the puzzle are here.
With the new X2 CPU's out & the HDR-HC1 out, it looks like it
could be a very expensive year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
The only thing you can use right now is a digital D-VHS deck with a firewire connection. That's what I'm doing. I'm using the JVC HM-DH5U:

http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027314&pathId=50&page=1

Alot of people in the USA are copying HD-films on those right now directly from Sat STB with firewire connections... I know it's a tape, but the image is SO good compared to any DVD-players (even upscaling players) out there. Renting a DVD is breaking my heart each time I have to now, after watching full 1080i on those D-Theater tapes...

Or else wait for the Blu-Ray or HD-DVD recorders... But it could be a LONG wait...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
247 Posts
I had the same question and now that I read this thread I think this really hurts.
I have been looking at the HDR-HC1 but now I see it will be a looooong time before I will ever get a high-def digicam. I will have no way to play it on my HDTV. I won't want to keep the videos on the miniDV tapes since DVD payers only do 480P.

Blue ray and/or HDVD may be out soon but it will be so long before the prices become reasonable. And then you have to worry about the two competing formats.

I think I may have to just consider a good SD camera. Any recomendation for a 3CCD camcorder that can do 16:9 ratio?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
TheTinRam said:
I had the same question and now that I read this thread I think this really hurts.
I have been looking at the HDR-HC1 but now I see it will be a looooong time before I will ever get a high-def digicam. I will have no way to play it on my HDTV. I won't want to keep the videos on the miniDV tapes since DVD payers only do 480P.

Blue ray and/or HDVD may be out soon but it will be so long before the prices become reasonable. And then you have to worry about the two competing formats.

I think I may have to just consider a good SD camera. Any recomendation for a 3CCD camcorder that can do 16:9 ratio?
Actually, the HC1 has component video output and it looks stunning on my Toshiba 57H83 RP TV and even more so on my Panasonic PT-AE900 projector. I'd dare say that the image quality is better than most HD broadcasts since it's not as compressed.

I haven't transferred anything over to my computer yet but I did pick up an IODATA linkplayer HD DVD player. HD-AVI, DIVX-HD, WMVHD, etc. play quite nicely on this unit. Apparently there is a newer player that will available under the JVC name but still made by IODATA with DVI output. I'll post when I finally get around to making some HD discs. (Other than the sample files that I tried.)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
247 Posts
So you have been keeping the videos on the miniDV tape and playing them directy on your TV from the Camera right? That sounds like quite a hastle.

Or does this DVD player you mention play the HD data file?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
TheTinRam said:
So you have been keeping the videos on the miniDV tape and playing them directy on your TV from the Camera right? That sounds like quite a hastle.

Or does this DVD player you mention play the HD data file?
I've only played directly from the camcorder itself so far. It's not that much trouble since I just leave the component cable connected to the TV on a spare input and just attach the camcorder end when I need it.

The DVD player can play RAW HD files but I have not tried one from the HC1 yet. It can play .ts files, mpeg2 files, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
I also have the Sony HC1 and I agree that it looks better than the HD I get on ExpressVu. I don't have my computer setup yet (and I only have a P4 2.8) so I'm simply playing my tapes straight out of the camcorder onto the TV. I simply leave the component and audio cables plugged into my TV, it only takes a second to plug the camcorder in. The only pain is switching tapes, but even that doesn't take more than 30 seconds. The camcorder comes with a remote so no problems on that end with FF/RW/Pause etc. Now if tapes weren't $20 a shot it'd be OK. I'm certainly looking forward to the next gen HD-DVD format for archiving these recordings. Overall, I would HIGHLY recommend this camcorder.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
247 Posts
Lando said:
I also have the Sony HC1.
Does this camera have a fire-wire port? From the descriptions on sites such as Futureshop there is no mention of fire-wire. I didn't see it mentioned on Sony's site either.

Are there any ports other than the component?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
It certainly does have firewire, in addition to composite and component outputs. FYI, my understanding is dealer cost is just under $2,000 for this camcorder.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
247 Posts
Najeeb said:
I haven't transferred anything over to my computer yet but I did pick up an IODATA linkplayer HD DVD player. HD-AVI, DIVX-HD, WMVHD, etc. play quite nicely on this unit.
Any updates you can share? Have you burned some of your footage from your HC1 to a data DVD and watched it on your IODDATA player?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Lando said:
I also have the Sony HC1 and I agree that it looks better than the HD I get on ExpressVu. I don't have my computer setup yet (and I only have a P4 2.8) so I'm simply playing my tapes straight out of the camcorder onto the TV. I simply leave the component and audio cables plugged into my TV, it only takes a second to plug the camcorder in. The only pain is switching tapes, but even that doesn't take more than 30 seconds. The camcorder comes with a remote so no problems on that end with FF/RW/Pause etc. Now if tapes weren't $20 a shot it'd be OK. I'm certainly looking forward to the next gen HD-DVD format for archiving these recordings. Overall, I would HIGHLY recommend this camcorder.

$20.00 a pop fpr tapes. Boy does the store ever see you comming. I am paying under 5.00 per tape for Fuji or Maxell 60 minute miniDV.
There is no need to buy thos so called HD DV tapes. Tape is tape, you will get exactly the same result out of standard DV tape. The informatio9n recorded is the same. 25mbit data. The difference between SD and HD is the compression used. SD uses fixed rate 5:1 I frame mjpeg. HD uses fixed rate MPG2 IPB transport stream.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
TheTinRam said:
Any updates you can share? Have you burned some of your footage from your HC1 to a data DVD and watched it on your IODDATA player?
Sorry, I haven't had the time to try it yet.

BTW, there is a difference in what happens when you use a poor quality tape. If you use a normal miniDV tape and record SD on it, even if you get a dropout on the tape, you really don't notice it. When you record HD and you get a dropout on the tape, you actually lose your picture until you get to the next keyframe.

The only assumption here is that the HD tapes are built with a better material to further reduce the possibility of a dropout. The manufacturers claim this is the case but how can we know?

I haven't had any dropouts so far with either a miniDV tape or an HD tape. I've recorded HD onto both and there is certainly no difference in picture quality. Since I haven't tranferred my material off the tape to my computer yet, I don't play the tapes back too often to prevent any kind of degradation until I finally get around to transferring them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
olderguy said:
Friend of mine has just purchased one of these cameras and his question to me was "How do I make or record HD onto a DVD" My reply was I don't know because there are no DVD recorders that have component input for HD recording. You will have to use the HD tape that comes with the camera and use the component input on your TV. Am I right or is there a way to record to a DVD in HD format. I would think that the new HD DVD players may be able to do it but even they may not have HD inputs for copyright reasons.

Currently there are no HD DVD recorders available. The best you can do is to select the HD->DV conversion feature on the camera and dub via the firewire to DVD. (Which looks fantastic by itself)
In the comming months there will be HD dvd recorders that will be capable of recording the MPG2 transport stream that will stream from the firewire port when the HD -DV comversion is turned OFF/.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top