·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But for symbian who else uses the OS other than Nokia now? In canada Telus/bell now carries 1 nokia phone that I see out of how many in total? Rogers does still carry 10 so about 1/3 of their offerings. thats not a whole lot of market share left

·
Registered
656 Posts
But for symbian who else uses the OS other than Nokia now? In canada Telus/bell now carries 1 nokia phone that I see out of how many in total? Rogers does still carry 10 so about 1/3 of their offerings. thats not a whole lot of market share left
In Canada, sure. But Symbian is still the world leader by a very large margin -- 41% of all smart phones sales for Q2 2010 (according to Wikipedia/Gartner Group). That's more than the next 2 (RIM and Android) combined.

Will that hold up? I don't know. Android certainly seems to be the open source platform of choice, despite Symbian going open source recently. And the new Symbian OS on the Nokia N8 has a long way to go I think.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Probably not a death blow....Sony Ericsson is an increasingly minor player in mobile.
If SE is a minor player, then Apple is even less significant.

Worldwide market share:

SE 3.1%
Apple 2.7%

http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=1372013

But, yes, SE is losing market share year-to-year. However, they were a significant partner in early Symbian development but obviously don't have the volume to support multiple platforms.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
OK, but Apple share is not relevant to this discussion of SE's impact on Symbian, unless I'm missing your point...

·
Registered
103 Posts
OK, but Apple share is not relevant to this discussion of SE's impact on Symbian, unless I'm missing your point...
The relevance is in overall product volume. So I don't think it is overall market share that is the issue but significance of Symbian within SE's product family that is driving this decision.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I think Nokia would just take over Symbian completely and manage it in house rather than have it done through the Symbian Foundation, which is closing up shop. I think Nokia has too much invested in Symbian to let it die, and as it has been pointed out, world-wide Symbian still has leading market share.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think Nokia would just take over Symbian completely and manage it in house rather than have it done through the Symbian Foundation, which is closing up shop. I think Nokia has too much invested in Symbian to let it die, and as it has been pointed out, world-wide Symbian still has leading market share.
That is essentially what Nokia is doing. The Symbian Foundation still owns the IP and rights to license Symbian. Nokia will be controlling the development.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts