Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have had this tv for just over a week and it was working fine until tonight.
I was watching TV tonight and after about 5 min of viewing the screen suddenly went black for a second, and then again, and then it seemed ok and then again and again and on and on.
I checked the high def box and it seemed ok each time it went off and I can only think it is the tv itself. I have it hooked up with a hdmi cable I had purchased from Tiger Direct about a year or so ago. The HDMI cable was cheap and now I wonder if it is the problem, although for a week and a half the TV worked just fine.
what do you think?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry Rogers Cable..... all the other TV;s inthe house did not have this problem. Tomorrow morning I am going to remove the hdmi and just run the composite cables and see if that works properly. Short of that I can think of nothing else that could cause it. My son used the set today but for his x box and said it was working fine

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK thanks. So after reading that I now am unsure if the cheap 3' hdmi i bought 2 years ago for $12.00 is the problem. Am I making a mistake thinking that the more expensive units will work properly?

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
Price is not a determining factor in the quality of an HDMI cable or whether or not it will work. A properly made HDMI cable can be purchased very inexpensively on the web or from a computer store or other places. This is especially true if the length of the cable is 10' or less. See the following thread on the topic:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30452

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Price is not a determining factor in the quality of an HDMI cable or whether or not it will work.
Quite so. I buy inexpensive cables too. However, cables and connectors are a common cause of problems, so it's often a good idea to try a spare cable or a different port, to see if that fixes the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts