Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Announced at CES 2011:

Key features of the Sony BDP-S380:

* Wi-Fi-ready (requires USB wireless LAN adapter sold separately)
* SACD playback
* Bravia Internet Video streaming media suite
* Media playback over USB port
* Quick start mode
* US$150 list price; available in February

Key step-up features of the Sony BDP-S480:

* 3D Blu-ray playback
* DLNA compliant
* Compatible with Sony's new HomeShare wireless audio products
* Can be controlled via iPhone/Android phone app
* US$180 list price; available in March

Key step-up features of the Sony BDP-S580:

* Built-in Wi-Fi with WPS
* Streaming video noise reduction
* US$200 list price; available in March

Key step-up features of the Sony BDP-S780:

* 2D-to-3D upconversion processing
* Skype capable with separate USB TV camera (sold separately)
* US$250 list price; available in April

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
This seems odd to me as Sony just released new 3D capable blu ray players last July.

Looking at their features I don't see a huge step up with this new set.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
My guess is this is nothing much more than a model change with a few non BR specific features thrown in such as DLNA compliancy.

Now if they could make a BR that could load up quickly and bypass the bloody commercials, I'd buy it in a flash!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I think Sony in the new models will include Netflix app, and add additional Bravia Internet Video contents. Perhaps upgrade usb to NTFS. Changing models each year is only marketing ploy so people keep on buying new products and let last year's models collect dust. Netflix firmware upgrade to 2010 Canadian models might never come so people will be forced to buy new players. Next year some new app will be introduced which will not be included this year. Industry is playing with naive customer, making him come back for more.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I think Sony in the new models will include Netflix app, and add additional Bravia Internet Video contents. Perhaps upgrade usb to NTFS. Changing models each year is only marketing ploy so people keep on buying new products and let last year's models collect dust. Netflix firmware upgrade to 2010 Canadian models might never come so people will be forced to buy new players. Next year some new app will be introduced which will not be included this year. Industry is playing with naive customer, making him come back for more.
I just bought the BDP-S770 just before I went to CES and the first day I was there, they announced the 780. Suffice to say that as soon as I got back from CES, I returned my 770, unopened. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought the BDP-S370 last month and ended up returning the box. The main reason: it wouldn't play NTFS formatted USB drives. Called up Sony customer support and had to wait for 45min to get someone on the phone. The CSR said that the BDP-S370 will not get the feature of NTFS readability as it is a hardware limitation. I wonder if Samsung could design their players to read NTFS disks, why couldn't Sony!

I saw the BDP-S380 on Sony USA website and checked its manual. It does not say that it can only read FAT32 USB disks. It also shows that it can play mkv and divx files...... very interesting.

Another question if anyone know for sure: Is there any build quality difference between the BDP-S370 and BDP-S380?

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I wonder if Samsung could design their players to read NTFS disks, why couldn't Sony!
It's an engineering-design decision, not capability.

Another question if anyone know for sure: Is there any build quality difference between the BDP-S370 and BDP-S380?
The 380 is not yet released, any info will only be speculatiive at best.

Hope it helps.

Cheers.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Recently Sony has upgraded blu-ray player firmware to include Qriocity video on demand service. Prices for movies range between $3.99 - $7.99 each. Still no Netflix upgrade and I think it will never come as with Netflix Sony will loose on there Qriocity service. With Sony on one side you get quality product but on the other frustration with Sony's proprietary connectors, cables, memory, internet contents, wi-fi adapters for blu-ray players. Inability to play NTFS over usb is deliberate design by 100% for profit Sony, as they probably have proprietary high capacity fat32 hard disk in the works. In the future Panasonic will be my equipment of choice.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
The exclusion of Netflix Canada can't ne blamed on Sony. They've been slow as mollasses in approving players. Hence currently, IIRC, only Toshiba and Insignia have Netflix. Sony, Pioneer, Sharp, JVC, Oppo are in the same boat waiting for Netflix Canada approval. In the US, at least Oppo and Sony, even on their older models, can do Netflix.

Sony proprietary-ness is no longer as bad as of late. At least you don't have to buy a separate proprietary wifi dongle on their $200 and up BD players unlike Pioneer and Panasonic. Memory cards are no longer proprietary. All their newer camcorders can take both Memory Stick and SDHC (and use NTFS), all their dSLR take either Memory Stick and SDHC or CF cards (depending on the model), no more Memory Stick only.

Last but not least, Qriocity movies are of far better PQ than Netflix and the difference is readily cisible even on my 50" viewed from 15ft away. I'd choose quality over quantity anyday of my life.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sony announces Netflix available in spring 2011

I copied this post from the 2010 Sony BDP-S370, BDP-S570, BDP-S770 Blu-ray Players thread, as it is relevant to the 2011 Sony blu-ray players as well:

Sony Canada announced today that Netflix will be available in spring 2011.
The press release can be found at:
http://www.sony.ca/view/press_969.htm

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
The FW upgrade is for last year's model only This year's models will have Netfliix out of the box.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Sony BDP-S380 sound quality

I'm setting up a second Video/Stereo system but don't want any unnecessary overkill in the components.

I want SACD playback capability and the BDP-S380 seems to fit the bill. I'm just wondering about one thing.....what's the sound quality and disc handling like on this unit? Are there any glaring faults I should be aware of? I'm just a bit hesitant because of such a low price point.

Any thoughts?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts