Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Sony BDP-S370 Blu-ray player and am having trouble with the network setup.

The player complains "Cannot communicate properly with DHCP server". That seems odd since it is talking to the DHCP server and is getting and accepting following settings: IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, primary and secondary DNS. What more could it want?

In fact, I ran a tcpdump on the DHCP server (it happens to be a PC) and the S370 isn't even talking to the DHCP server at the time it complains. Unless you count multicast UDP (UPnP?) packets which certainly are not part of the DHCP protocol.

Any idea what it could actually be upset about?

Second problem: the player's network settings seem to allow for a "proxy server". What does it expect this proxy server to proxy (there are many kinds of proxy servers in this world)? The manual is silent on this issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I phoned Sony support.

The customer service rep. didn't know what the problem might be.

Since the player can see DLNA servers on my LAN and can play Youtube videos from the internet, the only problem seems to be firmware updates (so far). So Sony is sending me the update on an optical disk.

Still, I'd like to know what's going on. It may well be the way I've set up my firewall, for example.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts