Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sony, which is betting big on 3-D with television sets and Blu-ray players, announced a host of upcoming video games for its PlayStation 3 console Tuesday that will have three-dimensional capability, including MLB 10 The Show, Killzone 3, Gran Turismo 5 and Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010/06/15/sony-nintendo-e3.html#ixzz0qyJARQau
Those are some pretty significant titles to be coming out of the chute with 3D. Even though this is a nascent technology with little or no base that can actually display the games, it's sure to raise eyebrows on the premium end of the market. Nintendo's no-glasses-required 3DS handheld will be bigger news, though, I think.

The company also announced that its Move motion controller, which resembles a magic wand, will be available on Sept. 19 for $49. The controller is similar to Nintendo's Wii in that it encourages physical interaction with games rather than button pressing. Fifteen titles will be available at launch with up to 40 scheduled for release through the holiday season, Sony said. First-party titles produced by Sony itself will be priced at $39.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010/06/15/sony-nintendo-e3.html#ixzz0qyJI0wvG
Two months earlier, a fraction of the price, and a holiday catalog three times the size of Kinect. That's a pretty decisive competitive swipe, IMHO, except for the dorky looking controllers :)

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Hold on, $49 for a single controller? Meaning $200 for 4 of them? I'd never use this with less than 3 people, just like my Wii, so unless there are third party (Intec, Mad Catz, etc) knock-offs there is no way I'm paying that much for what looked to me like a pile of Wii knock-offs. Maybe in a few years when there's a software base, but by then I hope there will be new consoles all round and I can ignore Move or Kinect ever existed.

At least the Kinect (which I also probably won't buy) doesn't require multiples. IMO it was a very, very disappointing presser from both companies, nothing from either one that grabbed my attention which I didn't already know about.

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
3d is something I am not interested in at all. My Wii is a dust collector and has been for a very long time. I miss the days of E3 when it was about graphic intensive games with innovative themes and plots. Having both MS and Sony trying to cash in and reinvent their consoles was very disappointing while following these keynotes. Without knowing the Price for kinect i will wait to pass judgement.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
That's also my concern with the Move. Too many controllers. OTOH, I like the idea of playing "real" games. I have both a PS3 and a 360, so for me, it's all TBD.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder if the 3D-capable games will be released as a separate 3D-only version? Or if both 2D and 3D will be on the same disc.
2D and 3D on the same disc, according to the press release.

At least the Kinect (which I also probably won't buy) doesn't require multiples.
Yeah, that's definitely an advantage of Kinect, at least for more than three controllers. Of course, that all hinges on whether or not Kinect can successfully distinguish multiple people. Any word if it does?

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Yeah, that's definitely an advantage of Kinect, at least for more than three controllers. Of course, that all hinges on whether or not Kinect can successfully distinguish multiple people. Any word if it does?
If it doesn't then as far as I'm concerned this technology, which already looks shaky at best to me, is pretty much useless.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't forget the PS Eye camera if you don't have it already. You'll need it for the Move controllers.
Good point, I forgot about that. They had better come up with some more innovative uses for that camera as well. Not going to be shelling out big bucks for a camera that only is useful for Move.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
99semaj said:
According to this article, just 2 players for full body control.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/06/1...ox-kinect-may-the-best-motion-controller-win/

Kinect touts full body control of up to two people at one time.
OTOH, we did see that fake awkward demo of three kids dancing to the hip hop game. See 37sec.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B0Z6FQPE1Y

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm pretty excited about 3D. 3D gaming (GT5 in particular) might get me to buy a 3D TV.

Kinect could be great for fighting games (UFC, Fight Night, maybe a Karate Kid game?).

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hands-on with the PlayStation Move

Hands-on with the PlayStation Move

... we'd have to say that in terms of acting purely as a video game peripheral, the PlayStation Move is currently our favorite entry in the motion control competition. Kinect works well enough, but it's not always as responsive as you'd want ...

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't forget the PS Eye camera if you don't have it already. You'll need it for the Move controllers.
Saw this link on Home Media Magazine. Apparently the Move controller/PSEye camera and a demo disc will be bundled for $99. They've also announced a slate of near-launch titles that are a lot more compelling than the titles rumoured for Kinetic.

SCE Worldwide Studios will release more than 20 games that are either dedicated to the Move system or supported by it by March 2011. Games include Resident Evil 5, Time Crises: Razing Storm, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11, Lord of the Rings: Aragon’s Quest, EyePet and Kung Fu Rider.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Move is more applealing to me than Kinect since they have a broader range of titles. Kinect only showed party games which move had some of those plus more traditional games like Socom. That being said, I think the price is going to make it a difficult sell. For people who want it for the single player experience (Socom, etc), $100 is a lot of money for a new control scheme. For the party game crowd, you would want at least two controllers if not four. I realize many of the Sports Champions games can be played passing the controller around, but games like archery and the gladiator game look like they will ideally be played with two Move controllers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts