Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hadn't bothered to watch any of the available 3D TVs yet (no interest to be honest) but I happened to be in a shop that had a Sony model running. Think it was about 52" maybe?

Slapped on the Geordi LaForge glasses, and rolled into "Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs" I'd seen the movie prior, but not 3D. It was exactly what I'd expected...kinda cool, but underwhelming. Like "Avatar" on a 40ft screen, the 3D effect wore off in a couple minutes, and I was back to watching just a movie (in the case of Avatar, a poor one!)

What did shock me, was the totally visible "flicker" from the glasses! I could detect it fairly easily on the screen, but the window that was adjacent to me about 8 ft away was making me sick!! The amount of flicker in my peripheral was unreal! Maybe the technology is still in the early stages, but I couldn't watch a TV of this type for any length of time...not impressed. I've been told that Panasonic does a much better job of it...don't know, haven't seen.

Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Yep, I too have noticed the flicker on Sony's sets. One of the first reviews of their 3D sets also pointed out another "feature": narrow 3D viewing angle. It seems that the reviewer found that he couldn't even glance at the remote without losing the 3D effect. He mentioned that neither Samsung or Panasonic sets have this problem. This doesn't look good for Sony.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
I have seen the TV but in their defense, I must say that the flicker is from their movie. Unlike other 3D movies for demos, Meatballs is poorly encoded compared to Monster VS Alien. Ask them to put that movie in instead of Meatballs and you'll see a BIG difference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts