Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My SonicView HD8000 is suddenly unable to record any programs from satellite.
If you hit record manually or set a record timer, the screen goes blank for a few seconds and the hard drive will flash a few times, then everything stops and the picture resumes. If you change the channel at this point, the satellite tuner will fail — showing you signal strength but no picture/audio.
A hard reset is necessary to resume watching satellite signals.
However, the device will continue to show and record local DTV.
Anyone else here seen this problem before?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Is your program guide populated for the channel you're trying to record. Sometimes when it isn't populated it won't record properly.

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem solved!

I've determined the trouble relates to custom channel names I had assigned to certain stations.
To get my favourite stations to sort at the top of the list for any given satellite, I had renamed them to start with a space. The file system apparently didn't like that — as a result, the device would fail to record those stations. After I changed their names to start with a number instead of a space, they now record without crashing the machine.
Lesson learned. :)

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Interesting. In order to have certain files on my computer show at the top of folders, I've always used "!" (exclamation point) at the start of the filename (on my Mac). I use this because it sorts even before numbers... Not sure if this would cause an issue with Windows or your PVR...

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My device appears to ignore punctuation in channel names when using them for filenames. Your idea could conceivably work. It would depend on how the machine sorts for punctuation and if it will ignore the "!" while naming files.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I've always used "!" (exclamation point) at the start of the filename (on my Mac)
Thanks 57, I just found this post and this info is very useful. You learn something new every day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts