Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

141 - 160 of 299 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Confirmed it works.
The ONT and Actiontech were giving me nothing but problems until I got rid of my GS110TP netgear managed switch. It was set to all defaults vlan1 ID accept all traffic but for somereason it was blocking something. I wish I could explain??? In anycase my two cents trendnet elcheapo gigswitch worked like a charm. Have TV thru HPNA on actiontech and internet thru my own router.

What I dont understand is why do I not lose the routing tables for the 10.x network when I release the modem IP??

Now if there was only a way to use my existing home LAN to reach the STB.
If I had a separate ethernet cable direct to the TV area it would have been easy Since I have to share the physical single cable with the home LAN, probably impossible.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The 10.x routes remain in place, because they are handled by a different virtual interface inside the Actiontech. If you look at the "WAN IP Interface Statistics" page, it lists 2 DHCP interfaces: "HSI DHCP IP" and "IPTV DHCP IP", along with the physical interface. These are also visible on the "Estimated Interface Statistics" page.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The GS110TP was doing what it is supposed to do as a vlan-aware switch. Unless the ports you used were set up as members of the vlans you expected to be passed through, then the packets will be dropped.
The elcheapo switch is probably just passing everything.

You can use that single run cable to carry multiple vlans, I am doing just that. You will of course have to have vlan-aware switching at each end.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi Khx73. So even though the managed switch was wide open it dropped packets??
It was set in default mode, nothing assigned. It should be just like an unmanaged switch accepting all packets. (all untagged etc).

Hoping Viper responds so that I can try his schematic with a bit more knowledge.

·
Registered
262 Posts
anav_ds. A smart vlan aware switch still obeys vlan rules when "wide open". Default config is all ports assigned to vlan 1 (default vlan), untagged, and pvid of 1.

·
Registered
101 Posts
THanks khx73. Very interesting diagram. I will spend some time thinking about it.

I have a capable router (VLAN wise) and two smart switches. Imagine though I only have one ethernet cable to my distribution box. IN there is a un managed switch that sends signals throughout the house. One smart switch I have at the ONT area and another I have in the TV area ( I have a many devices at the TV area besides the TV receiver).

Currently I am doing it the easy way using a coax cable right to the TV receiver from the ONT area coming from the action tech.

I guess what your saying is there is no way to get rid of the action tech modem in the mix like we did before. However it appears your able to do TV with ethernet from the actiontech vice the coax.

Did you create the network as Atlantic Rebel described, to get routing table to stick by releasing the ip modem and changing ethernet to pppoe.??

·
Registered
262 Posts
Correct, I am not using coax anywhere.

Yes, I released the modem's WAN IP first. Then I set the ActionTec WAN to PPPoe so it doesn't try to grab a dhcp lease from the internet vlan (35). (In my case, it would fail anyway, since the ActionTec is isolated from vlan 35 - but I still did it.)
I created vlan 35 on my router/firewall/server box's external (WAN) interface, and now it handles all the internet traffic.

As far as I can tell, there isn't any practical way to eliminate the ActionTec and still have TV function properly, at least with my setup. Using it, even just for TV only, seems to be the most reliable method for now.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Thanks AR. So there is no need to program VLAN 34 or VLAN 33.

To be clear.
a. release IP on actiontech
b. power down ONT (or disconnect wan cable to ont)
b. change WAN to pppoe (BUT WHICH USER NAME AND PASSWORD)
c. power down actiontech.
d. place switch in line
e. ensure a port is active from switch to wan port of router(pfsense or in my case zyxel) BUT NOT YET PHYSICALLY CONNECTED
f. turn on ONT
g. power on action tech (check tv signal)
h. connect switch to router WAN port (pfsense or zyxel)
e. confirm gets ip address and internet.
Clarification on step b, no username and password is needed?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes Habskilla.
I go to the status page (connection) and hit the release button, then go direct to the advanced page WAN settings I think, and change the button selection from RFC ethernet to pppoe and hit apply at the bottom. Once the screen comes back I turn the ONT and actiontech off.

Then I take ONT to actiontech ethernet cable and plug ONT to an unmanaged switch (or a properly configured managed switch). Then connect the switch back to the actiontech wan port.
Then I turn both units back on to ensure I get TV signal.
Once confirmed I connect to my own router to the switch and wait for it to pickup internet.

Works for me anyway.
My next challenge will be to bypass the coax and see if I can pass tv signal NOT on a separate direct cable to the STB but over my existing home LAN single cable to multiple devices in the TV area. (attempted via managed switches at both ends).

If that is possible, then the next step would be to figure out how to bypass the action tech. It seems to want to setup routing to a 10.x network and wondering if I can mimic this somehow in a VLAN (similar to vlan35).

·
Registered
262 Posts
anav_ds
Pretty sure you are trying to do exactly what I did. The green-colored line in my diagram is carrying both, separated by vlans. The ActionTec and your second smart switch would of course have to be at the far end of that trunk line, as shown.

I think you are trying to achieve the same thing... if you'd like more detailed info on how the switch ports are configured, I'd be happy to help.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes sure, I will pm you my email address.
The main difference between our two setups is that you have the actiontech with your TV, but the principle of what I want to achieve is the same.

Perhaps there is a reason you have to have the action tech by the STB??

At the end of the day, I will still try to get rid of the actiontech altogether.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The actiontec is there only because that's where the TVs (and their STBs) are. It made sense in the physical layout I'm working in. Where you have your equipment, what cabling you have, etc, is going to change things.
I could have done it simpler if I'd wanted all the networking gear out in the living room behind the TV somewhere, but I wanted it all in the spare room with the computers, and the fibre ONT.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Looking for more info on port settings. Which are
a. simply associated with a VLAN
b. are considered vlan interfaces and assigned a PVID.
c. what is purpose of vlan33

Note Ont to switch port settings are not laid out.
I gather you do not set 802.1p on vlan34 (used to be a concern??)

·
Registered
262 Posts
anav_ds
Ok I've added the details to my original diagram. Hope it helps.

I don't modify the 802.1p values. They travel un-touched through the network.

If you intended on eliminating the ActionTec, you'd have to mess with them to keep the priority required on the iptv traffic.

·
Registered
101 Posts
THanks much. When I get the chance will try that setup. I think I was there already but will copy exacto. I dont have a second switch in mine (yet) as my action tech is right by the router and I have coax from the actiontech direct to the STB.

I also note that I dont have my normal LAN on a VLAN (like you do vlan 5). Do you recommend I simply put my home network on a VLAN to make this easier down the line.
Especially when riding a single ethernet cable to the TV area.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Okay worked like a charm. The only difference I think from before was adding VLAN33 and of course the proper settings regarding the tagging.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would guess that my understanding is incomplete of
a. assigning a PVID - what does this mean practically speaking (compared to associated a port with a VLAN

and

b. what the three choices mean one can apply to ports T, U, or nothing chosen.

141 - 160 of 299 Posts