Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

121 - 140 of 299 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to make and post the pic.

Couple questions for you...

1- Why are you using QoS pri 2 on the inet vlan 35? I didn't think your inet packets would even get processed going out thru the ONT tagged anything other than default pri 0.

2- What about vlan 33? The STBs use this as well as 34, as I have read and observed. I see the STBs and the ActionTec broadcasting ARP requests on 33 periodically. Not sure the extent of its use beyond that.

Refer to File's first post in this thread.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No problem, I am just messing around with things because well I just like to mess around with things lol.

1- I just set the QoS pri to 2 because I wanted the traffic to have a higher pri then all my other traffic and it works as it is so I guess the ONT don't care. My speeds are great. 50/30 every time and I push and pull from a FTP server at those rates so I really can't say why it works but it is LOL

2 - I think VLAN 33 is used for Bell to connect for remote support. To be honest I kinda like the idea that they just can't connect to them. I could always just add the VLAN to the port and it would float thru.

Can anyone shed some light on this VLAN 33 ?? Should I add it ?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ok my bad.. I was thinking vlan 34 when I was wondering about pri 2 ... which wouldn't work.. apparently (as you have proven) it doesn't matter on 35.

As I said, i've seen ARP requests between the ActionTec and the STBs on vlan 33. That's about it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also works with OpenWRT

This is how I replaced the Actiontec router (Internet only). In the Actiontec menu, release the wan IP.

Go to OpenWRT in the new router. In Network-Switch:

"Save & Apply" this. In Network-Interfaces, hit "Edit" in the wan section, there in the physical settings, select the new VLAN:

I also did the "Override MAC address" with the MAC of the Actiontec in the advanced settings, but this shouldn't even be necessary according to some reports.

Has been running stable here and survived several reboots. Happy now. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
16 Posts
@AtlanticRebel, with your configuration, does the actiontec see the internet? ie can it get firmware upgrades?

The reason I ask, is, I recently started having TV troubles. I'm using your method for the most part, without the link between the pfS and the ActionTec. I started having TV issues, anythig recorded was stuttering. Aliant guy came, and eventually replaced the actiontec. I figured the firmware was so old, it started to cause a problem (this is a theory), as my actiontec had no internet IP; just used for TV. So the actiontec was replaced, and TV was perfect for a day or so. Now TV just loses signal after about 5 sec. The actiontec I have now is a factory replacement. Not sure what firmware it is as this point. But I know my TVs are now getting 192.168.2.x IPs, where with my old actiontec, they were still get 10.x.x.x IPs. So TV has stopped working after about 1.5 days. My WAN IP seems to have changed, but that was a day or so ago before the TV stopped working as well.

Looking for ideas to fix this before the Aliant guys tells me to re-configure back to their standard, with Internet going through the actiontec...

Any help appreciated. I'm in NL by the way.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Does the TV work for a few seconds after you change channels and then die, or is it just dead?

If it works briefly after changing channels, the problem is likely that it's not getting the multicast signal correctly. It switches to multicast a few seconds after you change channels.

·
Registered
16 Posts
@Tridus problem is just as you described it. Tech came in and spoke to the head office and said as you said, I was only getting Unicast or something. Some config must have changed at the head end... They reconfigured and all is well again.

So my initial problem was "solved" (or should I say went away) when we replaced the actiontec (the new actiontec had the newer fw, the one that gives the STBs the 192.168.2.x IPs).

When the tech was here, I had put the system back in the Aliant configuration, using the actiontec as the router for everything. So when he left, I reconfigged to bypass the actiontec again. When I did this, I released the IP on the actiontec, then reconfigured everything and tried to get an IP on my pfS box, but it took me hours of screwing around to get an IP again. What is the "right procedure" to release and renew the WAN IP?

So I'm back to @AtlanticRebels configuration now and all is well again.

Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
New Bell Format Discussion

Hi folks.
Thanks for that diagram SilentViper.
I have an old actiontech not powered on the wall.
I have been using a zyxel USG300 router with VLAN 35 setup to provide internet only.
I am getting a TV connection on Wednesday on a promo. Silly bell its a free tv if I cancel before the end of 3 mos and keep at least one of the services. Well considering I already use two it was a no brainer.

In any case, I cannot figure out now that Bell has really added this RIPE or dual edge twist. My router can recognize VLAN packets. I also have two managed switches that can tag packets with VLAN (assume thats what you do by assigning PVID to a port) and the switch can tag with 802.1p level four if that is still required.

Is there any way to remove the action tech from the mix???.
Also regardless of setups, it appears that folks are running separate ethernet lines from the router be it action tech or pfsense directly to STBs. My idea of running the TV signal as a transparent VLAN over my internal lan network does not appear viable?? :-((

In other words, unless I can find a separate ethernet line to the TV area, I will be stuck keeping the action tech because it also has RG6 coax outputs and I do have a coax cable going to the TV area.

Assuming you setup pppoe in the actiontech so it DOES NOT pull a lease?

Why is port 4 on your switch set to pVID 35.
I would have thought you would have kept this as the default (typically Vlan1) accept all traffic. You have port 3 on the switch setup as PVID35 already. Thus all traffic coming to the switch from the router will get tagged with VLAN 35 frames and the switch.

What I had thought of doing on my switch was keeping the default vlan1 (admit all traffic) on port 1 of the switch but identify it with VLANS 34 and 35. Port Two would be identified with VLAN 34 and I would designate it with PVID (interface desig) 34. Similarly I would identify port 3 as being associated with VLAN35 and would designated it with PVID 35.

I too was going to then route port 3 to where the ont currently connects to my router (to get VLAN 35 IP address and internet connectivity).

My dilemma was I did not know what to do with my VLAN34 cable coming out of the switch. Now that Bell has changed their methods, I am at even more of a loss at how to proceed. Your diagram provides what appears to be one answer. I was hoping to avoid using the action tech however.

Perhaps if I better understood what RIPE or Edge was doing I could do it all internally on my router. Especially as there seems to be that new required LINK of your internal home LAN to the first switch AND to the action tech.

Why are these links required??? Why do you have a separate link between the router LAN (VLAN2) and the Switch and why do you have a separate link between the router LAN (VLAN2) and the actiontech. By the way my home lan is not a vlan its just simply a LAN.

·
Registered
262 Posts
anav_ds

I would also like to lose the ActionTec. I recently re-arranged my network and am still using it just for the cat5 STBs.

I am running the feed to the ActionTec and my internal lan over a single stretch of cat 5 at one point with no troubles using vlans and vlan switches. Still, I would like to not have to use the AT at all.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi Khx73. Bell guy came today, hooked a new actointech up and it all works using the coax line out of the actiontech. I am not sure how to proceed though, assuming I will still need the actiontech for the coax to STB. In other words how to move the internet back to my own router without frigging up the tv connectivity thru the action tech??????

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi Atlantic. I get a bit of the sense of what you have done.
I am using a netgear GS110TP at the router side. I programmed it as follows before the new install. Port1 - default VLAN1 accept all. Port2 - PVID VLAN 35, Port 3 - PVID VLAN34 and all packets coming into port three will be tagged with 802.1p level FOUR upon routing back to the source (ISP). As far as associated VLANS, I associated vlan 35 with ports 1 and 2 and vlan 34 with ports 1 and 3. (NOTE this is different from assigning PVID which is assigning a VLAN to an interface).

Now previously I had the ONT directly connected to my router no probs. I tried it with the switch worked great. That is where I am at now. I did note in Silent Vipers diagram he made port 1 also a PVID of 35 (whereas I think both you and I keep it general).

What I dont understand is your actiontech wan setup. You seem to state that you change it to pppoe??? If so what are the steps.
a. unplug actiontech wan connection from ont
b. plug in ont to router wan connection (either direct or via switch)
c. reprogram actiontech wan to pppoe
d. plug in switch port to actiontech wan

·
Registered
101 Posts
By the way, I have no clue what your stating here.

The have found that if I create VLAN 34 and tag it as priority 4 on the interface back to the ONT, I see nothing(not surprised though). The funny part though, if I create VLAN 33(which is the management VLAN) on the ONT side, DHCP gives the interface an IP from the R1000H. It is able to ping both the R1000H 192.168.2.1, and all 3 STBs.

Not sure what I should do based on the above info.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You're actually overcomplicating it. I'm on my tablet right now, but headed to the office shortly, I'll type out a more detailed response shortly.

·
Registered
448 Posts
OK, so it's a lot simpler to do than you seem to be trying to do it. All you need to do is put an un-managed GIGABIT switch(I use a DGS-1005G) on port 1 of your ONT, then from the switch, feed 1 port to the WAN port of the Actiontech, and one to the WAN port of your router/firewall.

Before making any hardware changes, log into the management pages on the Actiontech, release your IP on the status page, then goto "Advanced Setup>WAN IP Settings" and change it from "RFC 1483 via DHCP" to "PPPoE" I also find it good measure to power down the ONT and Actiontech after these changes, place the un-managed switch inline then the Actiontech, power it all up, verify that TV is working, then continue on to Internet configuration(this should allow enough time to avoid and DHCP issues with the new setup).

You need to tag the router/firewall WAN side with VLAN35.

Hope this helps.

- m

P.S. I checked, and my Actiontech is running new firmware now, looks like even with internet disabled, it still gets firmware updates, more than likely through the elusive VLAN33.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks AR. So there is no need to program VLAN 34 or VLAN 33.

To be clear.
a. release IP on actiontech
b. power down ONT (or disconnect wan cable to ont)
b. change WAN to pppoe (BUT WHICH USER NAME AND PASSWORD)
c. power down actiontech.
d. place switch in line
e. ensure a port is active from switch to wan port of router(pfsense or in my case zyxel) BUT NOT YET PHYSICALLY CONNECTED
f. turn on ONT
g. power on action tech (check tv signal)
h. connect switch to router WAN port (pfsense or zyxel)
e. confirm gets ip address and internet.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Also you have a switch connection to one of the lan ports in the Actiontech.
How does that work, especially if your home network lets say is on something other than 192.168.2.x

121 - 140 of 299 Posts