Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Some SD PVR guidance please

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  barter 
#1 ·
Hi Ya'll,
So I'm moving into a new house soon, and they have most kindly agreed to let me have use of their bell subscription just so long as I get my own reciever, therefore I'm looking at purchasing a second hand reciever.

I have a nice 36" CRT SD tv that I've got no desire to replace for now, the pic is good enough for me!

What I'm hunting for is a PVR and preferably a way to record one channel and watch another at the same time. I'm assuming this requires a dual tuner solution.

Can somebody point me towards which models of reciever I should be targeting for this purpose? I've got no Idea which dish they have or anything like that.

thanks
Stuart

#2 ·
A 5200... It is no longer sold so you would have to buy one of the internet. Make sure the user already called EV to let them know he sold the receiver so ou would be able to activate it. Unbpaid account follows the client, not the machine, so no worry there

#3 ·
The 5200 was the only dual tuner SD PVR. The 9200 and 9242 are the dual tuner HD versions which, depending on the inputs on your TV, you could also consider.

If you want to go with a single tuner PVR, then you can go for a 5100, 5800 or 5900. Watch out for issues with the 5100 though as it is old and had a number of design flaws as well as a poor HDD.

#4 ·
If you want to go with a single tuner PVR, then you can go for a 5100, 5800 or 5900. Watch out for issues with the 5100 though as it is old and had a number of design flaws as well as a poor HDD.
Those won't work for him since he says in his post that he wold like to be able to watch a channels while he records another one

The 9200 and 9242 are the dual tuner HD versions
He mentionned that his TV was SD... It is possible that his SD TV have a COMPONENTS plug, if that's the case he could, yes consider those 2 models

#5 ·
Those won't work for him since he says in his post that he wold like to be able to watch a channels while he records another one
Thanks, I did see that and that was why I said "if you want to go with a single tuner PVR...". I'm just presenting options.

Another option would be 2 receivers rather than a dual tuner. A Single tuner PVR and another 3100 or 4100 would do the job.

#6 ·
All resonable suggestions.

What would people suggest is best bang for the buck with either one of the HD recievers (yes, I have 1 component input) or 2 seperate recievers (which would mean 2 Svideo inputs?

I'm also going to be connected to a outlet in the basement suite of a new rental in which we'll be splitting cost of sat, is there any issues with activating a second hand reciever in this situation? I'm not sure how many recievers he has upstairs etc...

Regards
Stuart

#7 ·
A few points to keep in mind......

- You need 1 cable feed per tuner - unless they are using DPP equipment which is unlikely
- There is a maximum of 6 receivers per account. I wouldn't go out of my way to mention that you are a renter....Bell probably won't like that. But technically if the owner is paying for it and it is at the same residence, I would think it is ok. But I could be wrong.

The 9200/9242 has more SD capacity than 2x5900, takes up less space, has a better guide etc. This would be my recommendation, but ultimately you are the one using the stuff and know your setup. Its good to have options.

#10 ·
The best long term solution is likely a HD PVR like the 9200 or 9242. They have SD outputs and way more features and capacity than any HD receiver/PVR. EV is currently offering a $300 programming rebate on the 9242 as well. As a new customer, you could pick up the 9242 on sale for $499 and get a $300 credit and free installation. Used EV receivers are difficult to get a good deal on, due to the black market demand and issues with defects. I would be leery "using their bell subscription" since it probably involved account sharing. This is an illegal practice and could backfire.

#11 ·
Used EV receivers are difficult to get a good deal on, due to the black market demand and issues with defects. I would be leery "using their bell subscription" since it probably involved account sharing. This is an illegal practice and could backfire
Not true... I know many people that bought 9200 for 250$-300$ (since existing customer do not get any form of PROMOTION on the receivers) and never had a problem.

When I worked at EV IU got a few clients that bought a used receiver who ended up to be broken. That's why I say don't buy a used receiver whithout suscribing to DISH CARE

I don't know anybody that would be stupid enought to "account share" his account with a total stranger he met throught the internet or a garage sale. Imagine the possibilities for the buyer if that was the case! He could buy all the PPV he wants and never see a bill!

I would tell you if you buy a used receiver be cautious of course... Ask the seller if he called EV (even the account as been closed for years) to mention his receiver was sold. If he say yes call EV to double check. If the owner never called you will never be able to activate it. I often had clients on line when I worked at EV that bought 9200 from an on line add that never took the time to verify that and ended up with a 600$ machine they coudn't activate.

#12 ·
He could buy all the PPV he wants and never see a bill!
Actually No that wouldn't happen. If the receiver has not been connected to a phone line and dialed in, in the past 30-60 days he couldn't order any (The phone logo in box 3 on the system info screen needs to be green not red and X'ed out). If it was connected there would be a limit of 3-10. And expressvu would never know about them untill the receiver was connected to a phone line to upload, which can only be done at the main subs house.

#13 ·
He could order the PPV throught the internet or on the phone. PIN is usually required, but lots of agents don't follow the PIN protocol so they could very likely end up placing the order

#14 ·
The phone PPV ordering thing is automated isn't it. You would have to punch it in, the same thing for online. So that would never happen. Every expressvu CSR I have every talked to asked for a PIN.

Anyway account sharing is a violation of the Customer Service Agreement.

Back to the SD PVR discussion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.