Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A mystery DTV station in Calgary was first reported by a new member of our site, who also posted a video of it to YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqQ3jmCtqgo

I suspect that Industry Canada and/or the CRTC have not approved this broadcaster.

I'll see what I can find out about this mystery station, but perhaps some of you in Calgary who are in or close to the local broadcast business might know. Someone with TSReader should be able to tell us what real channel it is/was using.

A Google of Westnet Calgary turns up quite a few links to a failed application for a mobile phone network and the WiFi service mentioned as being advertised on the new TV channel.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=westnet+calgary&btnG=Google+Search

Looking at Westnet's web pages it is clear that the owners don't have any qualms about plagiarizing news sources far and wide (no citations, links, or copyright notices on most stories). I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about this outfit.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Mmmm - I will move one of my higher gain antennas and see what it picks up when I get home!!! Failing that it's out for a drive with the portable!

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
Well, just went signal hunting for this mystery station displaying as 8.1 in Calgary.
Stood out on the balcony with my modified Stealth Hawk and flipped through every free TV allocation manually, without finding any trace of any unusual DTV activity.
Will try again in the morning.
In the meantime … anyone else in OTA TV land having better luck tracking this down?

p.s. While band-scanning, I was able to receive a fuzzy World Cup match on Channel 22. Must be CBXT-13 Red Deer. Also got fuzzy signals on 6 (CBC) and 7 (Global) — perhaps it's cable leakage?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Wow, too bad that wasn't CISA(7) from Lethbridge.
There was ALOT of E-skip today.
Picked up Vegas FM's in Edmonton today but that's for another thread....

Anyway! Back to the program - thank you for sharing 8.1
I was thinking about this on the way home from work tonight.
The TV in the video shows 8.1 but that's PSIP....
I have a feeling that it's sitting somewhere between 51-83, so if I were you, I'd be looking at the higher freqs.
Secondly, 8 physical (180-186 MHz.) is far too close for it's sidebands to be riding 9 analog. For this to happen, you'd need a REALLY tight mask filter OR have second adjacent.
Being 8.1... and 8 physical doesn't seen right at all.

Can't wait to see this channel when I go to Calgary Thursday

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Scam/Hoax?

Well, as downbeat has pointed out to me in a PM, the youtube video shows that the TV is set on Cable and not on OTA.

If we cannot get confirmation that this channel is definitely OTA and authorized to be there I am lead to conclude that this is a scam/hoax and our members and youtube viewers have been the intended victims.

What can you say about this, except that it sure makes Westnet look craptacular.

Bearing that in mind, I would like to know from Westnet corporate personnel whether they knew of this stunt, whether the person who posted it here and on youtube is a staff member, and what they intend to do about this situation.

·
Super Moderator
11,135 Posts
Seems they are injecting a 720P ATSC signal into the local cable network/condo/apartment?

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
Just did another scan with the TV, this time under auto scan. Did not find anything.
The TV took a little longer to skip over OTA UHF 23 than any other channel. I decided to take another look at that channel manually by tuning it and slowly rotating my antenna — nothing.
One more thing: As Stampeder noted, I noticed the TV display in the YouTube video shows the RF input is labelled "cable", yet the channels shown through the video are in the correct OTA locations (Global on 2, CTV on 4, City on 5, CBC on 9) and not the Shaw basic cable grid. The only intruder is the channel displayed as 8.1.

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
If this person's TV is set to cable, the TV wouldn't be able to tune anything OTA properly above Channel 13, right? Would explain why CFCN-DT and CICT-DT aren't there.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the signal is coming from an ATSC converter box that allows analogue passthrough and is set to output on channel 4 it is possible that all the programming and on screen graphics are from it and not the TV itself. Given the clarity of the analogue stations it does not stand to reason that CFCN-DT and possibly even CIVT-DT don't show up in the scans.

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
The video shows the TV is a Sony. I've never owned one. Can anyone tell if the on-screen graphics are consistent with Sony's television sets?

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
Channel 8.1 mystery solved

Got a call back just a few minutes ago from someone named Michael Henderson from Westnet in Calgary. He assures me (and the readers of this thread) the YouTube video is showing some kind of in-building coax-based HDTV distribution system.
Apparently, the OP here and the author of the YouTube video were incorrect to call it an OTA station in the first place.
I hope this helps clears things up a bit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stampeder? why such harsh words to words a fellow OTA fan?? (scam/hoax?) I thoguht my find was COOL.

I called westnet, spoke to Michael which happened to have offices in the same condo I am living in, and explained how its working, they are testing a box from from Zeevee.com and are feeding the signal into the building with other OTA signals, nothing illegal. In our building if you dont have cable they have a OTA antenna that everyone can use, and I am the one who looks after this antenna. I thought this was OTA since when I did a channel scan thats what happened. as for my tv saying cable/antenna, i left it on cable, does it make a difference??

I should also note he didnt like the negative comments about their company that did nothing wrong. I say good for them for having a wi-fi network, which appears to be the first in canada.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So Jake was correct, its a simple QAM-modulated signal injection into an MATV distribution system inside the building. It was never OTA, and never meant to be seen outside of that system, and especially not on Youtube. Westnet is not involved with the original poster. I do however hope they'll do something about their web site's shortcomings.

So, that closes the door on all this then. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.