Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Hello,

Over the last few days, Several people with a Pixma or Maxify model Inkjet printer from Canon have noticed their printer continuously rebooting or powering down.
Here are the affected models:
PIXMA iP110
MAXIFY iB4020
MAXIFY MB2020
MAXIFY MB2320
MAXIFY MB5020
MAXIFY MB5320
PIXMA MG6620
PIXMA MG7520
PIXMA MX490 / MX492

I happen to have one of these models and noticed it continuously restarting on its own. I was like what the heck and my first impression was the printer finally crapped out after 8 great years of use with no issues prior to this. I unplugged it, and left it alone, tried to plug it back the next day, and bam, same thing, It got me t thinking, let me search to see if this is a common issue, since it was so new of an issue there wasn't really any info online at the time so I thought nothing of it and left it unplugged.

The next day I tried searching and noticed others reporting the same issue on sites like Readit, etc., so it dawned on me, maybe something got pushed to these devices overnight and it contained some kind of bug? well truth behold, that's the case. Canon posted a statement on their web site indicating it is aware the issue and has released an emergency firmware update to fix it.

The issue is when ever the printer powers up, and auto connects to the Wi-Fi network, it will shut down and restart the entire process again and again rendering the printer inoperable. I unplugged my modem, powered up the printer and what do you know? it loaded up just fine, so I used this opportunity to go into the printer menus and completely reset the printer to factory defaults, this caused it to "forget" the Wi-Fi SSID and password it was connected to, and I was able to print via USB cable for the time being until the new firmware was released. Today I just installed the firmware and what do you know? it works as good as new.

Juist thought I would give a public service announcement to anyone who uses a Canon printer to please read this before chucking your printer in the electronic waste depo

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Went for a walk with the kids the other day and saw a Canon Pixma Inkjet printer very similar to that of mine sitting next to the garbage bin outside one of the housing subdivisions. I suspect the people who owned this printer were frustrated with it not working but were not aware it was a software fault that could be fixed or maybe they did know but had lost their patience with it? we will never know.

I could have taken it and brought it home but I decided against it because 1) it had rained the other day and the electronics could already be damaged by water, 2) I was walking the dog and had no way to lug around a printer with me, and 3), it was not worth my time I have a working printer already

1 - 2 of 2 Posts