Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bell has announced that a new Software version for the 5100/5800/5900 would be available in January.

The exact date for the update is not known.

Once it has been released this thread will be for owners to discuss. This thread will replace Software Version E553 for 5100/5800/5900 Discussion

Please note - Do not post in this thread asking when the updates are happening. If you do, your post will be deleted and an infraction issued.

This thread is strictly for the discussion on new firmware by 5x00 series owners who have received the latest firmware.

·
Registered
163 Posts
SWARE 230 is now showing that the new version for these models are going to be updated over the next few weeks.

"Model 5100, 5800, 5900
Software: E661

We are pleased to announce a new recording feature available on the 5100, 5800, and 5900!

This upgrade will now allow your receiver to record all episodes of a show or new episodes.

We will be upgrading groups of receivers over the next three weeks."

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
My 4 x 5900s updated yesterday. I didn't really care for VuPass and similar functions in the 9200, now they are in the 5900. Overall I guess it is a good thing, but one thing I used all the time is now gone, or so it seems.

I often would schedule an event for a hockey game after the game had started, then go modify the timer so that the start time would be current time plus a minute or so. Then I'd power off. The unit would power on, record the event , then shut down. This was good in case I fell asleep. Editing the time of an event seems to be locked out now, or at least I couldn't find it. Similarly, if a program airs an hour early or late one week due to a special event, I'd just modify the tweekly timer, then put it back after. Can't seem to do that now.

I never had any issues with the 5900 and other than VuPass, daily scedules, etc I haven't found anything new yet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Recording by Show Title and Changing Timers

I tried to do a quick reply to the previous post but the "send" got hung up. Apologies for any duplication if that hung up attempted post ever goes through.

If I understood the previous post correctly, I can no longer change my event timers' start or end times. That would be a serious problem as I do this all the time for many different reasons. If this is a possible software glitch rather than an intentional change, does anyone know to whom to e-mail and/or call to ask that it be corrected?

With regard to recording by name, I did three searches, all without result: "name based recording", NBR, and "vu pass".

If anyone either knows the name of the thread or threads I should search to see how this works on other PVR types, or if you have a link that would be much appreciated.

I am concerned about programs that networks like ABC (which does this all the time) which start programs a minute early, or ends a minute or more late and does not change this until literally the day before the program is scheduled to air (e.g. Grey's Anatomy several times). Sometimes the EPG does not pick up this change.

If we cannot change the start or end time manually we basically cannot program the PVR to record the program correctly.

Thanks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I see the new recording options, like there are with the 9200.

I also notice the info banner has more info, like the episode number and original air-date. Obviously that would be necessary to implement the new recording features.
So far I haven't noticed any glitches, but I don't use my 5100 very much.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
If I understood the previous post correctly, I can no longer change my event timers' start or end times. That would be a serious problem as I do this all the time for many different reasons. If this is a possible software glitch rather than an intentional change, does anyone know to whom to e-mail and/or call to ask that it be corrected?
The 5x00 series PVR functions now are very similar to the 9200/9242 with all the NBR, VuPass, "Daily Schedule" options.

Although I still haven't found a way to edit the start/end times of a timer, you can adjust the "extra" before and after times for the event. The 5x00 never had an option to start more than 1 minute early before, but now you can set this to whatever you want (there may be a 90 minute limit?), same for the extra time after an event.

Creating a new one time event for weeks that this won't work should cover it for most people. I personally liked to be able to alter the start times manaully to ensure the unit powered down (running in the bedroom) on its own as I don't use the auto-power off funtion as I had problems with it in the past and don't trust it now.

Also, I "believe" that the PVR, now that it has been enhanced, will automatically adjust AS LONG AS the schedule/guide information changes. i.e. if a show is listed one week as one hour and 5 minutes, I am pretty sure the event will change to cover this, but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
5900 Name Based Recording New Option

Thanks dosborne for your response.

What I have always done is to create the timer from the EPG. Then if I learned of a time change, I would manually change the start and/or end times from the timer menu: e.g. if it were Grey's Anatomy, I would go to that timer that I created, check it, click on Edit, and then change the start and or end time manually from that menu. It always worked fine. The only glitch was that if I added too much time at the end, I got the name of the next program in my recorded programs list.

If I can still do this I'm fine.

I must be the worst searcher on the planet because I have searched for "name based recording" or NBR or "vupass" on this site and on google and came up with nothing that would tell me how the PVR 9200 and 9242 owners fared with name based recordings of new programs only. I guess I'm wondering if there are any known glitches and whether the system is reliable. If not, I'll keep setting up from the EPG (if this is still possible for individual events to be set weekly, etc.).

Thanks again.

·
Registered
55 Posts
What is the Software version number?

What is the software version number after the update to the new search options.
I still have not got the changes to my 5900.

Would someone who has the change already post the new version number?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
E661 is the new version. Check channel 230, it is being rolled out by ranges of IRD#'s.

satuser -> NBR works marginally well on other models (92xx). Too soon to tell if it works any better on the 5x00 series. Some of the issues are guide related in that sometimes the info it needs is not available. I wouldn't count on it just yet. Stick with the weekly timers.

·
Registered
249 Posts
satuser

If you must use the old style programming you can still use it by programming a manual timer. A bit more complicated, but useful if you must set a timer to record only a section of a show. I have a timer set to record only the last 7 minutes of a 30 minutes show.

With this new update we now have TWO options. The new way to edit a timer by adding time before or after a show (early start 0, 1,2,5,10,15,30 and 60 minutes and late ending 0, 1,2,3,5,10,15,30,45,60 and 90 minutes) or the old method we know in manual programming.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 5100 just got updated - now I have no way to modify recording times, despite comments made above.

"Protect Event" and "Remove Timers after x events" are enabled, but "Start Early", "End Late", and "Set as System Default" are grayed out and completely inaccessible to me. Nothing I can do seems to enable these items.

So no, to me it seems another "one step forward three steps back" kind of update.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
So no, to me it seems another "one step forward three steps back" kind of update.
I would say 3 steps forward and 1 step back :)

When creating the timer, you should have the option to modify the Early and Late times. I don't recall off the top of my head which option this is under ("options?") but you should also be able to modify this after the fact (I know I did for one, it may have bee a "once" timer.....).

It may depend on the TYPE of timer, I use weekly timers. VuPass or some other type may not enable the option, I can't say I've looked yet to see.

I also didn't see the manual timer option, but again, I haven't looked very hard yet as my primary unit is a 9200.

It may be worthwhile to call in to tech support. If there is enough demand, they may be able to restore this option in a future release. And for all we know, it could be a bug rather than a lost feature.

I still firmly believe in the 5x00 series though as I find it a solid workhorse unit.

Other than the VuPass options, has anyone noticed any other changes? There is certainly more activity on the HDD when entering, changing, deleting timers as I assume more info is now stored and the HDD is used for this. It may explain my issue below.

Has your recording capacity changed at all? I have one (when all shows are deleted) that shows 80h 15m cap, while another shows 79h 40m (I'm guessing on the minutes but it was somewhere around there).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Start/Stop weird logic

OK - I have been able to access the start/stop extensions - SOMETIMES.

If I use the guide, select a future event, and select "once" (which would be normal for me), and save the timer, there seems no way to go back to change the start/stop times afterwards. But if I change them under "options" BEFORE creating the time, then I can also change them after saving the timer as well.

But it seems so unpredictable that I was hoping others (using 661) had figured it out and could explain in detail.

The logic of accessing timers and events seems so convoluted that it could have been created by Microsoft. Beats me why they would be disabled in the first place under ANY circumstances.

·
Registered
2 Posts
5100 update

I have received the update for my 5100 receiver.
The functionality is good.
I would like to say i am a bit technically oriented but must say the update is confusing to say the least.I think it needs a few changes but a step in the right direction.
One big problem I have is the fast forward functionality has been comprimised big time.I cannot even view when I fast forward.It is slow and choppy(very choppy)almost like the processor is lacking speed now.
This to me is not acceptable and if this function is important you may not want to take the update just yet.

Anyone else experience this problem?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would like to say i am a bit technically oriented but must say the update is confusing to say the least.I think it needs a few changes but a step in the right direction.
One big problem I have is the fast forward functionality has been comprimised big time.I cannot even view when I fast forward.It is slow and choppy(very choppy)almost like the processor is lacking speed now.
This to me is not acceptable and if this function is important you may not want to take the update just yet.

With regard to FastForward, my 5100 with 661 is the same as my 5900 with 553 - neither one has a problem with FF.

·
Registered
384 Posts

It looks frightfully intentional :(
This way, when you fast forward through commercials, each 'frame' stays on screen *far* longer. This looks like the software developers were paid bonuses to slip this "glitch" into the system.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Alanh

I noticed that if the event is a movie, the early start and late end times are greyed out like you stated. If the event is a normal show, then the option to select an really start or end is available.

Personally, I can see no valid reason why BEV should do this. Movies are notorious for starting later than scheduled at night when the whole scheduled is thrown off by a late running sports event.
BEV this is for you :mad: You should correct this bug asap.

Guess I'll wait as long as possible to accept the new software in my other PVR.

·
Registered
160 Posts

I noticed the same thing. I try to use the skip buttons as much as I can, but sometimes I have to fast forward and it's awful now.
I also have issues with the timers. Say I want to record a show in an hour. I am used to how it was, so I just click select a few times. The default NOW is "all episodes".

Oops, should just be a matter of deleting the timer right? No, even with the timer gone, the "schedule" with all the future (and past) recordings still has the recordings in it, as does the guide. Hard restart fixes it, but it's frustrating.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I noticed that if the event is a movie, the early start and late end times are greyed out like you stated. If the event is a normal show, then the option to select an really start or end is available.
Ah, that does make sense. I have noticed that, it just did not occur to me this time. Movies are (or at least should be) less likely to be interrupted compared to network TV where news or other events often mess with the times. Certain options in the menu (scheduling for example) is tied to the "type" of show. The start/end times can be set with different default values. A "normal" show for example you may add +5 at each end, sporting events +5 minutes to start and +1 hour to end (I think is the default), etc.

I suspect the ability to change the actual start or end times (as opposed to the fudge-factor values) was dropped either by accident or because there wasn't enough "real estate" on the screen to add another option.

One other change, or at least something I don't recall from before, but can't verify since I've updated all mine, is there is an option to set the aspect ratio of the TV to 4x3 or 16x9. Maybe it is the way I have mine hooked up, but I did not notice any differences with 16x9 selected (I think it used to be greyed out?).

As for the FF issues, I tried on a couple of my receivers and did not notice any problems. I did a hard reboot (push and hold the power button until the unit resets [green and red LEDs flash]- roughly 10-15 seconds) after the update on all my units. Playback of shows recorded after the update, including the FF functions, seemed fine. Playback of previously recorded material was also fine.

If you continue to have problems, I'd suggest noting the Date, Time, Channel and show name to see if it is isolated to a particular broadcast, network, transponder or a few receivers.

I'd also suggest you do a reset of your unit to be sure it boots up clean prior to testing these functions again.

Let us know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the info.
The FF issue seems to be on the 60x and 300x.
I have tried the reboot,does not seem to help.
May have to live with this or may send off an-email to Bell.
As stated in a previous post the default to "all episodes" for a recording can be annoying,but all in all things are going in the right direction.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 199 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.