Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
141 - 160 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have yet to have someone answer this for me. I've asked(although maybe not on this site) re: Sportsnet and NBCSN broadcasts, and now am asking about the Euro event. Does TSN having commentators at half/before after qualify this as Canadian Content? I know Sportsnet will pick up a US broadcast of a hockey game, and sometimes go back their own studios during intermission.

I can guess I'm really wanting to find out what kind of games can be played to get around the rules.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm not an expert but I doubt this qualifies as Canadian content.

I always thought the reason the Canadian networks have their own staff at breaks/intermission was to get their own talent over on the the viewers.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Canada vs. Haiti -- June 15, 2021 -- World Cup qualifier round

Dubbed the worst goal ever!

Too bad no Canadian broadcaster carried the game. Too many other sports get preferential treatment over Canadian soccer!?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Unfortunately Mediapro owns the national team rights and it will probably be difficult to get them to sublicense the games since they're the most popular rights on their streaming service.

·
Registered
110 Posts

I always thought the reason the Canadian networks have their own staff at breaks/intermission was to get their own talent over on the the viewers.
Considering how they seem to operate(cheaper is better), why would they go to that expense? Just seems odd.

Nothing against the TSN guys, but I'm not sure what they would bring to the broadcast that the english halftime show does(assuming there is a halftime show associated with the game broadcast network). Just seems odd they do it for soccer, but don't do it for, say, Aussie Rules Football.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Unfortunately Mediapro owns the national team rights and it will probably be difficult to get them to sublicense the games since they're the most popular rights on their streaming service.
Difficult, but not impossible. CBC got the Olympic basketball qualifying from DAZN, but the national soccer teams are OneSoccer's star attraction. OneSoccer did put the 2nd Canada vs. USA CONCACAF Nations League match on conventional TV, but I assume that was just to get some publicity when it was a relatively new service.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

I think the pre and post game shows do qualify as CanCon, but not the halftime/intermission shows unless a team based in Canada or with Canadian athletes is involved.
I doubt TSN cares to boost Wileman, etc.

·
Super Moderator
18,531 Posts
TSN and RDS Become New Canadian Home of LaLiga, Kicking Off in August

Bell Media sports networks TSN and RDS announced they have become Canada’s new English and French language home of LALIGA SANTANDER, with coverage and highlights also available on TSN’s SPORTSCENTRE and RDS’s SPORTS 30, as well as on the networks’ respective digital and social media platforms.

LaLiga coverage is available for live streaming and on-demand viewing to TSN, RDS, TSN Direct and RDS Direct subscribers via TSN.ca, RDS.ca, and the TSN and RDS apps.

TSN's rights for the Spanish league are part of the overall deal with ESPN.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Now that UEFA and CONMEBOL championships are over, I have two questions in one. Who carry respectively the CONCACAF Gold Cup and CONCACAF 2022 World Cup qualifications?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
OneSoccer has the CONCACAF Gold Cup and CONCACAF 2022 World Cup qualification (Canada's matches at least, not sure if they have all of them).

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
OneSoccer is showing a Gold Cup match between Qatar vs. Panama on their Youtube channel live now.
It looks like Honduras vs. Grenada will be on Youtube later tongiht.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Last time I checked the gold cup match between Canada and the USA is going to be on the Fox Network, Sunday Afternoon at 2pm

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
I think it's safe to say DAZN will continue to show UEFA Champions League. The playoff round draw is on their schedule for August 2nd.

Serie A logo is not on DAZN's website and I read on Twitter, whoever get the rights, it'll be exclusively and not shared unless it's in Italian.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I know they signed a deal with the women's UEFA soccer coverage back in June so I'd imagine the rights are likely going to continue for UEFA Champions and Europa leagues. Premier League coverage will be year 3 of 3 for the current deal starting in August. We will likely find out next spring if DAZN renews Premier League coverage.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
2021/22 TV Rights:

PL ------------------- DAZN
Championship ---DAZN
League One-------DAZN
Carabona Cup --- DAZN
MLS ----------------- DAZN (Out of market games)
Champions League ------ DAZN
Europa League ------------ DAZN
Women’s Champions League --- DAZN

La Liga ---------------TSN
MLS ------------------- TSN (Canadian Teams and some other games)

Bundesliga ----------- Sportsnet
FA Cup ---------------- Sportsnet
Women’s FA --------- Sportsnet

Serie A --------------- TLN
Copa Italia -----------???

Ligue 1 --------------- BEIN (some games on TV5)

SPL -------------------- OneFootball (Live games for free on web and app)

Belguim League ----- DAZN

European Qualification ---- UEFA.tv for English language and TLN for Italian, Spanish and Portuguees
UEFA Nations League ---- TLN (non English)

Canadian Premier League ---- onesoccer
Canadian W/M national team -- onesoccer

DFB Pokal ---- YouTube (free)

141 - 160 of 200 Posts