1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Facebook has been added... Check

Remote recording........ Check

So what's next.

If we can set up programs to be pvr'd remotely,when will we able to access pvr'd programs for viewing on our PC's/Mac's ?
Anyone care to speculate what's next for Optik TV ?

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
But if I could squeak in a feature request... or two.... or three...

1 - Windows Media Center integration
2 - Portable media device integration or remote recording viewing
3 - Ability to play videos stored on home network

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think most importantly is that Telus fixes the atrotious black levels and colours

Everything on Movie Central and HBO looks like crap even though I am paying 20 dollars a month for it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ay, there's the rub. As much as I enjoy the upgrades, I'd trade them all for good image quality again on every channel.

Oh well, now we can check our facebook and have the most annoying 'previous channel' function in history.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
More options for series recordings when using the remote recording features would be nice. I'd also like to be able to watch shows on a tablet as well. As stated above though I think fixing the picture quality issues should be a priority first.

·
Registered
85 Posts
They can take a few cues from Shaw:

1) PVR recordings into folders for series. That was the best move Shaw ever made when my kids 20 episodes of Thomas were now in a folder so viewing my overall recordings was limited to a few screens instead of a massive list.

2) Next hardware cycle give me a clock on the front! That was my living room clock dammit, now I have to buy a wall clock.

3) NFL Network

4) In the guide, if your watching a SD show and its available in HD, put it in the menu bar like Shaw, so I can easily switch over.

And gimmie VDSL2 in my area!

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
With regards to the first point it seems there's a bit of inconsistency in the UI about this. When viewing recordings to play back it groups episodes together (with a number showing how many episodes) but there isn't a way to do that when viewing your upcoming schedules.

One other feature I'd like is customizable times for skip ahead/back buttons. I'd prefer 10-15 seconds for the skip back button myself. An alternative (though not perfect) idea would be to press a number then the skip button to move back/forward a specific time. At least then I could program a macro on my Harmony for it.

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
1) PVR recordings into folders for series. That was the best move Shaw ever made when my kids 20 episodes of Thomas were now in a folder so viewing my overall recordings was limited to a few screens instead of a massive list.
If you set up a series recording for Thomas then all the recordings will be placed in a folder. (Mediaroom had that feature long before Shaw. ;)). You can also set the number of episodes you want to keep (1,2,3,5,7 or 14), and old episodes will automatically be deleted as the new ones are recorded.

If you record individual episodes separately, they will be shown separately.

@BGY11, showing scheduled recordings in folders would be really confusing - I think it's more important to see what's recording on a particular day. If you want to see a list of scheduled recordings for a series you can go to the Series tab, choose the series and "left arrow" to see recorded and scheduled episodes.

·
Banned
548 Posts
ryankenn
As noted, series recordings are in a folder if they are recorded as a series.

I actually prefer having no display on the front of the STB. I find having a clock display right beside my TV distracting. I used to despise the clock on my ShawDirect PVR, it was too bright, too big and the wrong color. It found it stood out like an unwanted beacon. The time is available by pressing any of several buttons on the remote, including guide and info.

NFL home ticket is available as a programming option for those that can't get enough NFL.

Your flag to show HD availability for SD content is a great idea. You can find this by using "other show times" in "info" but your suggestion would be more elegant.

VDSL2 in your area is something that will happen. VDSL2 is the way it will all be in time. Just understand that VDSL2 won't guarantee you 3HD/1SD service. You still have to live within a range of about 400 meters from the RDAC or DSLAM for 3HD/1SD. If you have 1HD/2SD now then VDSL2 will probably make no difference to your service level. If you have 2HD/1SD then there is a good chance you will move up to 3HD/1SD if you had a VDSL2 port.

BGY11,
I couldn't agree more with your desire for an adjustable skip/repeat function. I find the 7 second repeat is not quite enough. If I could change it I'd want about 10 sec. I'm fine with the 30 sec skip.

I wish there was also some circuitry in STBs to keep the audio level even. The CRTC has ordered the networks to stop blasting commercials @ considerably higher volumes than programs, but so far I haven’t seen any attempt on the part of networks to comply. The volume difference used to be slight, it now ridiculous, especially late night.

-another TELUS tech

·
Registered
63 Posts
what no NFL network????? i hadnt looked since i signed up for telus after NFL season.

That sucks big time.

And this is different the the NFL season ticket.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm just seeing that scheduled recordings into folders now. It sure would be nice to be able to create your own folders or drag individually recorded items into series folders as I find myself with loads of individuals as well as series stuff. When we switched to Telus I lost all the kids stuff we'd built up so now I'm recording as many episodes as I can during the day ( new or repeat ) so I'm getting tons of folders and individuals.

Yeah, I know I can get the Sunday Ticket, but when I went to watch the draft, I did a big face palm when I discovered the NFL Network isn't on here. With the NFL getting more and more exclusive with their broadcasting rights ( like the draft ) I hope Telus can sort this out pretty quick.

The clock on the DCX3400 was dimmable and much less intrusive than the 6416, and I'd still love it. EDIT** For me I have a recessed in wall center about 6' left in the adjacent wall to the TV, and the components face you at about a 30 degree angle. This PVR is really picky with its angle, the DCX would work from some pretty amazing angles, this isn't nearly as good. At least provide the IR extender so I can remedy that.

As far as volume, forget commercials, try watching Treehouse TV. Its audio level is at least 30% below all the other channels, so switching out always wakes you up. It was bad on Shaw as well, but not quite to the extent I've seen now.

So if I'm 1HD/2SD and get upgraded to VDSL there is a chance I won't see a bump to 2HD??? I hope that's not the case, I could live without 3HD, but I doubt I'd stay with Telus for years++ on this profile that I have now.

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
@ryankenn, if you want to record all episodes of a series with several showings per day, select "Any day, anytime" and all the episodes will be in 1 folder. You can also set the priority of the kids shows low so that they won't conflict with other programming.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was told by an installer today that the Cisco boxes are maxed' Out!
He told me that the Music Room and Facebook apps are as advanced as this hardware rev will get. He said don't expect to much more in the near future as Telus is now concentrating on customer growth and Technical support.

This sounds very plausible to me. Since the Mediaroom 2.0 upgdate, these boxes seem clunky and sluggish, they have to fix what they have before adding additional features.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I think they can probably handle more streams though, at least according to Cisco...

Allowing shows to be streamed over your home network (to a Windows 7 PC for example) or to a mobile device shouldn't put any additional strain, just like another 330.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I'd LOVE to be able to watch multiple channels at once ala Back to the Future Part 2.

It would have been great to have 3-4 NHL feeds on the tv at the same time for the first round. :D

I'd also like to be able to watch tv on my pc... login and watch whichever channel you wish on (I'd really like to be watching the World Hockey Championship right about now at work).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts