Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My iPod got some water in it, and is currently on life support. I thought, great opportunity to by a new mp3 player, since, while I like the iPod, I truly hate iTunes.

The mp3 market in Canada is sad. There is little to no choice anymore! If I don't want an Apple, I have a choice of Sony (small 16gig) or Archos, which I've never actually seen on a shelf, only online, with the 'out of stock' labekl on it. What happened to all the choices, most notably Zune and Creative (Zen)?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I definitely know what you mean about MP3 players here in Canada.

Regarding the Zune, Microsoft never really marketed it properly up here. The big issue was the fact Zune Marketplace was inaccessible to us. To make matters worse, at the time of the Zune launch in Canada, Apple still had DRM on iTunes files - so one couldn't simply download a song from iTunes, load it into the Zune software and then transfer it to the Zune. Even if they could, it's still more complex than just using iTunes to sync with an iPod.

I'm also guessing that part of the reason for the lack of a Canadian Zune HD is the HD Radio. It would be hard for them to advertise that feature when the service isn't available here in Canada. I base this on the fact that other HD Radio players (like the Sony) aren't normally available up here either. You can import one, but that's it.

For Creative, I honestly haven't heard mention of them in quite some time. Even tech blogs or review sites don't seem to talk about them much. Very sad indeed since some of my favorite MP3 players were Creative units (Zen Xtra, Vision:M, and the Vision:W).

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
^^^^
You could do what I did. I bought a Google Nexus One, which is a smart phone that includes a decent player for MP3, Ogg, etc. At the moment, I'm listening to some Gordon Lightfoot with it. Prior to getting this phone, I listed on my Nokia N800.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
^^^

Cool, thanks for those! I love my Apple devices, but I think iTunes is the worst piece of software Apple has ever built.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I hate hate hate apple and itunes as well, but my iPod touch is the greatest gadget I've ever owned

I've got an Archos 5 internet tablet too

it's nice, but a bit largish if an mp3 is mostly what you're after

but really, I can't really recommend an ipod touch enough

i've had pretty much everything, and it's just 99% perfect for me

·
Registered
796 Posts
When I first got an iPhone I had to start using iTunes. Hated it at first but have since grown to find it quite a useful bit of software. It's great for syncing among various Apple devices. What is it you don't like about it?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I'm with blueroomelectro - I've grown to like iTunes quite a lot over the last couple years (it's taken over from Media Monkey for my player of choice). My only significant wish is improved navigation within your local library. And of course a credit card is not required. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts