Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a service call to replace my noisy colour wheel (with success I might add) but I now see a smudge (for the lack of a better term) about the size of a loonie about a third the way down from the top and just off to the right of centre.

This was not there before.

The tech wasn't really sure but thinks it is condensation and it will go away.

Any thoughts to what this could be and why it would just appear now?? Could it be dust or something on the mirror?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Static Electricity

Hi Bruce,
The problem you are experiencing is due to a static build-up between the two layers of the screen. Rubbing a wool cloth on the carpet and then across the spot will disipate the static charge and allow the panels to return to normal.
I also recommend you pick up an AC filtration unit to prevent this from occuring again.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
It could however be dust as you suspect, either at the mirror or near the MMD.

If it is on the screen, pressing on the screen may cause it to change shape...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Static? Hmm...I haven't heard of that one yet. I'll give it a shot.

My service guy has ordered me a new screen and we are waiting for it. I still don't believe that's it. Every "smudge" story I've read says that it was there from day one - it didn't just appear. Something happened when he had it open to replace the colour wheel.

I just don't want to open the set and explore on my own.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Or if you have the option you could take the unit back and buy a Toshiba. It has been my experience with Samsung screens that nothing makes the smudges dissapear for good.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried the wool and rub technique...nothing. It's still there.

Flyguy - ain't gonna happen. I'm past 2 month on my set so it can't go back as an exchange. Regardless, I love the set. Actually Samsung has a new screen that fixes all the smudges. It is assembled different to ensure nothing gets between the two surfaces. Hopefully mine comes soon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bruce Fan I've also read about this new replacement screen which I understand however is a one piece design. From what I've read (can't seem to find the link) it resolves these issues.

I would say that Samsung are outselling Tosihba in a big way hence perhaps there are more posts about teething problems. However after reading numerous reports about dodgy Toshiba's switching on and off and apparently also suffering from smudging I would say go with the manufacturer willing to give you the best support. imo the Toshiba is ugly whereas the sammy is a far sleekier design, even looking a bit like a Plasma from the front.

Am still waiting to resolve my colour wheel issue on the Sammy but I think the looks and PQ are superior than the Tosh.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would say that Samsung are outselling Tosihba in a big way hence perhaps there are more posts about teething problems. However after reading numerous reports about dodgy Toshiba's switching on and off and apparently also suffering from smudging I would say go with the manufacturer willing to give you the best support. imo the Toshiba is ugly whereas the sammy is a far sleekier design, even looking a bit like a Plasma from the front.

Am still waiting to resolve my colour wheel issue on the Sammy but I think the looks and PQ are superior than the Tosh.
NPM108,
Cool I'm glad you like your Samsung but I don't know why anybody would recommend a TV they admitidly have issues with? :eek: I personally would expect somthing costing that much money to work without any problems or I would send it back.
You can slam Toshiba with "apparent reports" on smudging or whatever but trust me you can't compare different sets until you have had them both in your house to listen for noises you can't hear on the showroom floor or smudges you don't notice right away.
My point is, over a 3 month period I sent back 4 Samsung 5063w's because of a) color wheel noise; b) light engine noise and c) SMUDGES (they all had it)
and eventually switched to a Toshiba 52HM84. Had the Tosh for 3months now and have had ZERO problems with it, not too mention it looks fantastic sitting in my livingroom :D , IMO better than the Samsung too. :p
I wanted to keep my Samsung because it did have amazing HD PQ but I couldn't live with any of the problems, and as it turns the HD PQ on my Toshiba is just as amazing, and the analoge channels are much better,
BTW the best support is the one you don't have to use. :cool:
My 2 cents.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Flyguy,

I can understand what you mean, I wasn't pushing one or the other, actually what I was trying to point out is that is seems ALL DLP Rear Pro's are having major issues, be it LG, Toshiba, Samsung, etc etc.

In Europe (where I am on) on another forum there are lots and lots of reports of Tosh issues, and I think a greater number when it comes to Samsung. What I was trying to highlight is that because (in my opinion at least) Samsung are the No. 1 selling DLP brand there are likely to be more reports of issues with them!

I'm glad you've had no problems with your new Tosh, thats great to hear. Ultimately if Tosh has good support, or Quality Control and a picture/features/price you are happy with, then you have your answer.

I will NOT recommend ANY DLP rear pro to someone who just wants a big TV and isn't really into things. I say this because I think us early adopters are going to be plagued with issues, mainly reliability which seems to be affecting everyone. However I will take the Pepsi challenge with any similarily priced TV, plasma, LCD etc.

There isn't one single brand or model of DLP TV that doesn't have issues!!

If you're lucky with your batch, then that's great. I remember reading a post saying make sure you have extended warranty when you buy a DLP TV, and in that respect I hope you are covered for any future events!!

We all love our HDTV's and I am a big fan of front projection DLP, just somewhat dismayed by the Q.C. of Rear Pro so far!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can update, but nothing new. I have tried a number of different things but no change. I am still waiting for my new screen to arrive. After 4 weeks I'm told it will be here by the end of the week.

Hopefully that will fix it. However, I'm not convinced it is the screen since it just appears after a service call. Perhaps dust on the back of the screen - no necessarily the popular moisture between the panes.

We'll see...and I'll let everyone know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the update - I really feel a bit lost on this one because it is definitely not like the normal smudge which goes away after a while.

Perhaps you can compare, mine is sort of grey in color and differently from the normal smudges, you can see it from different angles and not just when looking straight at it. Also I noticed that you can see it more from a distance (say from about 3 feet away or so) than when looking at it from a very close distance. It is particularly visible on camera pans rather than when the camera stops and is visible mostly on blue and on light, greyish colors.

I also believe that this has nothing to do with the two screens but may be more related to dust perhaps on the lens or on the DMD. Does this make sense to you?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, that does make sense to me and that's what I told the tech. After he changed the colour wheel and I saw it before he left he said it was just some moisture inside and it would go away. I gave it a week and told him it was still there. He didn't think it was the screen but would call Samsung.

After speaking with them he was convinced it is the screen and ordered the replacement. Great...but I'm not convinced. I asked him to come over and take a look for dust rather than waiting so long for the screen but he said that would be a waste because the screen needs to be replaced.

Well, hopefully we'll see soon. I want to be over his shoulder when he takes the screen off to see if there is anything inside or on the screen. I don't care...I just want it fixed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wanted to make everyone (and BruceFan in particular) aware that I have just managed to solve this issue. :p

Basically, I couldn't take this any longer and just went ahead and removed the side inspection panels of the TV. At first I did not notice anything in particular, just some dust that settled on the mirror screen and the lens.

I then tried to lightly wipe the front screen with a microfibre cloth but on switching on the TV, the darn smudge was still there. The I wiped also the projection lens and the rear mirror screen but again, the smudge was still there.

At this point, I tried switching on the TV with the side panel still removed and BANG - there it was!! On the projection lens, there was sort of like a line of dust that looked like stuck to the lens thus it did not go away with wiping. Therefore, I used some isopropyl alcohol on the cloth and lightly wiped it again.

On firing on the TV again - NO MORE SMUDGE!!!

Therefore, if you are seeing a strange smudge (this is NOT the normal screen smudge - it is visible from practically all angles and mine was only visible from at least say 3 feet away or so) the problem could be similar to mine. Thus I recommend that when you have the technician at your place, ask him to have a look because this is something relatively trivial. If you're inclined on cleaning it yourself, make sure you know what you are doing (i.e. take care of the mirror screen, the solvent you use, further dust that may be introduced etc.)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm not sure if my problem is classified as this smudge, but it seems similar. Basically, what I have is on both sides of the TV, all the way from top to bottom (with some spots that are fine) I have like sort of smudges I guess; it looks like the colour has been faded out. It's noticible in basically everything except very dark (ie. black) backgrounds. It's on both sides of the TV and maybe takes up 5-10% of the total screen. It's also very annoying.

What can I do? I bought this TV at Costco (so I can return it any time) but I don't have a truck/van to do that (had to rent one to get it here). How does waranty work on it (it's a month old)? Does the service guy come here, or do you have to pay for that?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions, or can tell me that what I see is indeed the smudge, please do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My HL-P6163 suffers from a few smudges or watermarks on very bright (white) pictures as well. It's worse when it's cooler in the basement. As the temperature increases, they become less noticeable. I called Samsung in Mississauga and they hooked me up with a service tech in Newmarket. He's coming out next week to fix it under warranty. It's only a few months old. I'll post results when he's done.

·
Registered
37 Posts
markn said:
My HL-P6163 suffers from a few smudges or watermarks on very bright (white) pictures as well. It's worse when it's cooler in the basement. As the temperature increases, they become less noticeable. I called Samsung in Mississauga and they hooked me up with a service tech in Newmarket. He's coming out next week to fix it under warranty. It's only a few months old. I'll post results when he's done.
Is everything to repair this going to be free? Do you have to pay the tech to come to your house to repair it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Another question about waranty - when the repairman comes in, does he need to see the receipt, and does he mark the receipt if he's actually fixed something?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I can finally update the group.

I finally got the new screen (he had it a week ago but we could find a convenient time). He hadn't replaced one before so it was trial and error before he got the front off. It was actually quite easy.

I was right. He took the screen off and we held it up to the window and couldn't see the smudge. I stuck my head in the set and there was a nice little piece of fluff (maybe even a plastic shaving) that was sitting on the lens. Right where it should be to create a smudge in the place I had it. He wasn't convinced and still replaced the screen anyways. Too bad he didn't want to listen to me 6 weeks ago when I suggested it could simply be something on the lens or mirror and not necessarily a screen issue. He wanted to wait for the screen.

So, I've got a nice new clean screen. All is well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts