Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have our phones on a plan with no data. Here's our issue.

Sometimes when someone sends us a text, the message arrives as a MMS format and we cannot read it. I know why this is done, but what I want to know is there a work around to be able to read the original message.

I installed and tried Android Messenger. Don't know if this will solve the problem as we haven't rec'd a lengthy text message.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
We receive the text for MMS messages with mobile data turned off but MMS attachments require mobile data to be turned on. Don't know why it's done that way either. Don't know if SMS works without mobile data. The "unlimited texting" plan is supposed to include pictures but it doesn't appear to. Our mobile data is pay per use so it's usually turned off to prevent unwanted charges. Connecting with wifi doesn't seem to make any difference.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not enough info:
WHY can't you read it?
What provider?
What plan?

Data is used for the pictures, so must be on.
Typical plans exclude MMS from data charges, if plan states text and picture messaging included.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not enough info:
WHY can't you read it?
Text message is received as a multimedia message which must be downloaded. Cannot download msg.
What provider?
Zoomerwireless (Cityfone)
What plan?
300 minutes Canada wide 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. unlimited talk and text outside of those hours. Unlimited anytime Z to Z calling or texting. 300 outgoing texts, 2500 incoming texts.

Data is used for the pictures, so must be on.
No pictures sent
Typical plans exclude MMS from data charges, if plan states text and picture messaging included.
I know this is done to force consumers to purchase data plans. A quick read of cell phone forums shows this to be the case. Just wondering if there is a work around for providers converting longer text msgs from SMS to MMS.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Some people put those silly smiles in their message and it automatically converts it from SMS to MMS because of this. You should be able to receive MMS even if you do not have a data plan. Data uses a different APN than MMS. So unless you have a block on your phones settings it should work

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Emojis do not cause SMS to convert to MMS.
Absolutely yes. It depends on the phone model. Some may actually look like an emoji or emoticon but they are mini pictures like a high five and waiving and other actions you can add inside your message. They are a bit bigger than an emoticon or emoji or what ever you wanna call it but its actually a bitmap image being inserted. Since SMS does not support images it has to convert the image to mms for it to go thru

I had a friend who was sending me these stupid garbage emoticons and icons in almost every message he was sending me. Once I told him to stop the messages came thru as sms from then onwards.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem actually originates with the carriers. If one doesn't have a data plan, long plain text msgs get converted to MMS format making them unreadable.

At first I was blaming my Android OS. But after some research, I now understand why the carriers do this. So my work around has been to inform those that text me to K.I.S.S.

Hope everyone is safe and social distancing.

Cheers,

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
you do NOT need a data plan to receive MMS, you only need a data plan for surfing, its when people start adding data blocks on their their account some agents block ALL data some block internet access /surfing/tethering only, its confusing its always been this way for years. or people using grey market phones with out the correct APN configuration will also cause this

1 - 10 of 10 Posts