Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im looking at getting a smart phone.

my uses are texting, little talking, social media and a little web browsing.

i was looking at the i phone 4, blackberry torch when it comes out and the samsung galaxy s - vibrant.

the sales guy was saying the galaxy was the best phone by far.

looking for others opinions and if they can post pro's and cons for there reason would be great

thank you

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Torch blows against the other 2. I would add htc desire from telus as a shortlister. Check them all out at gsmarena.com. Every phone is on there for all markets and companies. Mobilesyrup.com is good as well.

·
Banned
328 Posts
I just picked up the Desire, it is an amazing phone!!! Depends what provider you want/use, TELUS has the HTC Desire and Motorola Milestone and Bell just got the Samsung Galaxy S. I prefer Android phones and would never buy an iPhone for numerous reasons but one of the major reasons is how you can totally customize your homescreens with what ever icons or widgets you want. Widgets show real time information on your homescreen without the need to open an app, it can literally be anything from weather, stocks, sports scores, Twitter/Facebook updates, etc;the information can be seen without opening/closing numerous apps to do so.

iPhones are just a bunch of icons and makes the homescreens very useless (and is starting to look dated). For example, one screen on my Desire has weather showing current temperature and upcoming forecast, ESPN widget showing real time NHL scores, Canadian dollar, and a commodities widget showing the price of crude oil, gas, etc. To see all of this data on an iPhone, I would have to open and close 4 different apps and allow them to be updated, instead I see everything at a glance. Seeing websites with Flash is also nice :p

Good luck (and buy an Android device :))

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
HTC DESIRE! Canada's best android phone available. I am a huge fan of Sense UI so its addition makes it a top pick over the Samsung...

Hilman pretty much summed it up!

·
Registered
390 Posts
If you're looking at an Android phone, (I'll be getting the Samsung GalaxyS), you'll want to look down the road to the Android 3.0 release (supposed to start around Christmas time).

The basic requirements are 1GHz Processor, 512mb ram, and a 4" screen. The Samsung is the only one that fits all of these. You'll be future-proofing yourself for a longer time.

They are planning to fork 2.2 and 3.0, however.

My friend just got his Samsung GalaxyS and let me tell you...it's a sweet piece of work and extremely nimble. And there's no iTunes to contend with, it syncs up with pretty much everything- being Linux-based.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Have you looked at the Droid X phone? Not sure if they sell it in Canada yet, but Verizon in the US has it. It looks quite impressive.

4.3" Touch Screen WVGA Display— supports up to 16M colors
Android 2.1 (Eclair) OS with Motorola Application Platform
TI OMAP 1GHz processor with Dedicated GPU
8GB Internal memory for emails, texts, and apps
16 GB microSD card pre–installed on–device — up to 32GB microSD supported
8.0 MP camera
720p HD Video capture

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Gingerbread (3.0) will not require a 4 inch screen, don't know where you got that. The Nexus One is the official Android dev phone and it doesn't have a 4 inch screen.

The Droid X isn't available in Canada and cannot be imported as it's a CDMA phone.

Android is definitely the popular subject right now, but for your uses a Blackberry might fit your needs too. I don't think you need anything as expensive as the ones you listed, a Blackberry Curve/Pearl or HTC Legend would probably do the trick.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
OP, in order to answer your question properly we need to know which carrier you wish to use and whether you're comfortable with a three year contract.

To elaborate on my earlier point, most people on a forum like this will recommend the top tier phones like the Vibrant or the Desire because the kind of people who come to forums like these are the kind who want the latest and greatest. While there is no question that these are fantastic devices, there are plenty of mid-range devices that would seem to cover your needs; entry level smartphones for moderate use. The Blackberry Curve and Pearl, the Nokia E72, Palm Pre, and the HTC Legend all fit that mold.

If you really want the latest and greatest (and to be honest if you're signing a 3-year contract anyway the difference in cost is minor) then the HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S series (the Vibrant on Bell/Virgin or the upcoming Captivate on Rogers and Apollo on Telus), or iPhone 4 are all good choices.

Android seems to be the new hottest topic in phones and both the Desire and the Galaxy S series seem like safe bets for Android 3.0. The key differences between the two are the size (do you like the bigger screen?) and which UI skin you prefer. While I find the screen to be beautiful on the Galaxy S series, I don't like the TouchWiz UI on them and prefer the HTC Sense UI on the Desire and Legend, but that's my personal preference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts