Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up folks, I got a 6-5mbps slower connection using the same cord and NO router connected directly to the modem on a 2 year old PC. On a laptop its around 11-13mbps, but using the same cord in the PC its only 6-9mbps. in SAFE MODE, its almost as fast as the laptop (9mbps) non-safe its 6mbps. Did a registry clean (no difference) and running a virus check now (might help)... if anyone has any other suggestions, also going to see if there is any new network card updates.

thanks for your suggestions

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
In Windows, performance issues are often best dealt with by reinstalling Windows from scratch. Your test with safe mode indicates it's likely not a hardware problem.

·
Registered
333 Posts
You might want to check if you have any QoS settings enabled on the problem PC. Some software that you installed could have enabled it (and they rarely disable the settings when uninstalled!).

·
Registered
405 Posts
I just had to put in a new NIC in my main PC, it was still working but the download speeds were horrible (<100kB on a 5MB line). Upload was fine. The new card solved the problem.

Not sure why safe mode would increase the speed slightly, but personally I would rather spend $20 for a new NIC and give that a try and hope not to have to reinstall Windows.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Safe mode doesn't load a lot of crap.

I'd run msconfig and find out what services and programs are loading on start up.

·
Registered
989 Posts
And then what?

I suspect the OP isn't coming back since its an old thread and the OP has never responded but I'd like to respond to the suggestion of manipulating regedit.

Advocating someone start messing arounding with the Registry is not sound advice, especially when the instructions don't say how to actually resolve the issue the OP is facing.

The possibility of making errors with regedit is high and you could seriously screw up your system.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I agree. Using a utility such as MSConfig is safer and easier. Other utilities, such as Autoruns or CCleaner, are also safer and can disable or delete startup entries easily.

I this case, I suspect a network driver or configuration issue is responsible. It's not likely that disabling startup entries will help much.

I have seen very slow speeds with Realtek chips. The two solutions I found were disabling IPv6 in network properties or installing an Intel 1000 NIC. There may be others.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts