Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sling Media today announced the availability of its SlingPlayer Mobile application for Android Smartphones.

The app also requires a broadband Internet connection of at least 150Kb upstream speed at home and a Slingbox Solo, Pro, or Pro-HD device with the latest firmware updates in order to work properly. The Slingbox AV, Tuner or Classic devices are not supported.

The SlingPlayer Mobile Android app is available now for download for $29.99 U.S. in the Android Market in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom and the United States.

The only Android phones IN CANADA that is officially supported by SlingPlayer Mobile us the LG Eve from Rogers.

Sling says the app will likely work with any Android phone with OS 1.5 and will offer refunds within the first 24 hours of downloading for anyone who is unable to get the product working on their Android phone.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The complete list of "officially supported" phones is listed in the article on the site.

I think the important thing for folks to take away is that, if you have an Android Phone other than the LG EVE from Rogers and are wondering, then you have a 24 hours to get your money back should you wish to try.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
That's a nice policy to have, they stand behind their product but they recognize that unlike the iPhone or BlackBerry OS's, Android can be on a whole range of hardware.

I'm going to pick up a Slingbox shortly and then I'll get this for my Nexus One. I've been considering a Slingbox for a long time, but mobile seals the deal.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just for the record.....this does work using a Slingbox classic. I have been using Sling since about 2004/5 and I am now enjoying it on my X10 using my classic slingbox.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Picked up a Slingbox SOLO and this app and it works beautifully on my Nexus One with Wind over both 3G and WiFi. The app will scale compression to your connection which is nice, especially on 3G while moving. My only complaint is that while running the app I lose all access to everything else, meaning I can't check my email while it runs in the background or (most importantly) my battery life.

I get that it's so resource intensive that running in the background would be a bad idea, but a battery indicator would be most appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts