1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
What a scam from the folks at Sling Media. $30 for a streaming app (even if you already ponied up for the iPhone one), plus they're forcing you to go out and buy a newer Slingbox.
I'm sure there's no tech limitation in my Slingbox Pro that prevents it from streaming to my iPad - it's just Sling's greed.

I'm gonna sit this one out.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey a firm has to earn a profit.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I gave up on Sling when my Slingbox PRO just up and died one day. It won't connect to the network any longer so its just a brick now. Apparently I was not the only one this happened to. Their solution, but a new one. I don't think so.

Sling is dead to me.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
The Android version listed the same limits for which boxes would work, and yet I heard reports of the older ones working anyway, just that Sling refused to support them.

I don't see why it's unreasonable for them to charge for the app. They don't charge service fees, they made no promises of an iPad app, and they didn't have to make it. Clearly they made it in order to sell it, and they have to recoup the cost of developing the app. This is the price they felt they needed to charge in order to recoup that cost and make a profit on it.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Yeah - I don't have a huge issue with having to pay out for the iPad app; it's pricey, but whatever. And it's not like $30 is gonna bankrupt me.

But the principle of purposely disabling support of older boxes - not for technological reasons; streaming video hasn't changed, has it? - that's just not telling your customers that you'll stick it to them any chance you get. If there's another option out there, they have my support just on principle.
(anyone....anyone?)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sat down with Sling about two years ago. The reason the older boxes couldn't support some of the new functionality is they simply did not have the horsepower of the newer devices.

The truth is that we all upgrade our computers to do new things. If the older Slingboxes still do what they promised two or three or four years, what's wrong with that?

Why is it unreasonable to think that have to buy the latest box to get the latest functionality? We don't use our old Pentium boxes to perform cutting edge stuff.

The one exception might be the Pro box. Surprisingly it works for the iPhone but not the Ipad. My thought though is that it simply doesn't have the power to transcode video to the ipad screen size very effectively.

·
Registered
507 Posts
But the principle of purposely disabling support of older boxes - not for technological reasons; streaming video hasn't changed, has it? -
It actually has. h.264 has become more common for high-quality video as it's more efficient than earlier formats. Unfortunately h.264 requires more power to encode. I don't know what older Sling devices use... all I can find is a weak reference to WMV.

For example, h.264 is starting to replace MPEG-2 for digital cable and satellite broadcast (i.e., Shaw's move to h.264 for PPV).

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
It's academic at this point, for me right now: the picture quality that I get with my 1Mbps upload (supposedly) from telus pumped out through the Slingbox to my iPhone (or laptop, or iPad running Sling-iPhone) is pathetic. It's to the point where I just use it to set the PVR to record something I wanted to watch, but didn't have a timer set for.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
yup, the streaming to iDevices just is terrible for some reason

my locationfree player to my psp looks fantastic

locationfree or Hava to my archos tablet looks great

anything to the ipod is just terrible (except air video, which looks spectacular)

·
Registered
17 Posts
What now for my iPad?

Is there an upgrade path, as I bought the Slingplayer app last week, it stated it was for iPhone, iTouch and iPad and 2 days later they announced the iPad app.?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ramteid, my guess is you are out of luck. you could send a note to Sling complaining but I doubt it will help you much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts