Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
450 Posts
My Slingbox is how our daughter watches live TV shows with us on a channel she doesn't get in grad school.

There's really nothing similar.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
What other products can be used as a replacement for this? I guess I could get a VeCaster but those are quite pricey and a lot more complicated to use. When not Covid I travel abroad a lot and liked using this to watch my TV from home.
@mgut I researched the VeCaster device you mentioned and sad to say it would not work as a Slingbox replacement. The problem is there's no way to control the Shaw receiver. It seems the device could very well send a video signal to the internet for remote viewing, but because there's no way to control the receiver it would only work for whatever channel it happens to be on.

Actually none of the "replacement" suggestions on the internet do what the Slingbox does. So travel viewing will be impossible save for the Bluecurve app. But even that is severely limited in the number of available channels (especially in French) and no viewing of recordings. Big letdown.

·
Registered
172 Posts
This is a bit convoluted but I bet it would work.

If you use the Vecaster for the Video signal and a Logitech Harmony remote hub integrated with Google Home or Alexa, it's very possible that, when you're away, you should be able to control the TV with voice or the Alexa or Google Home app .

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
This is a bit convoluted but I bet it would work.

If you use the Vecaster for the Video signal and a Logitech Harmony remote hub integrated with Google Home or Alexa, it's very possible that, when you're away, you should be able to control the TV with voice or the Alexa or Google Home app .
@Phils - Thank you so much for the tip. I will definitely look into this set-up scenario.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
I kind of gave up on looking for a replacement for Slingbox. It was good for controlling our set top boxes when we are away from home or out of the country, but now that everyone is cancelling their cable, it has become something we don't have a need for any more, so I gave up on finding a replacement

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
A Hauppauge HD PVR will work but it can be tricky to set up and maintain. I also found it to be somewhat lacking in reliability or responsiveness but there have been improvements in Hauppauge HD PVR products and software since then. At the Hauppauge HD PVR end, I used a dedicated media server PC/HTPC running MediaPortal to capture the audio/video and control the TV receiver. At the other end I used a HTPC and MediaPortal client to watch the programming. I realize that's a bit restrictive, especially in terms of hardware, but there should be better solutions available now. In theory, any hardware and media server software that supports the Hauppauge HD PVR can serve as the capture device and any hardware and software that supports the server software will work for watching live TV and recordings.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Another option is to setup a PC in your home running the Rogers Ignite App on the browser and simply remote in. You can use something older and cheap and theoretically should get the job done and you would be able to watch all your channels as it would be on your home network. Only holdup would be you can't watch stuff being recorded until it's completed but other than that it would work especially trying to watch from out of country.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts