Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lengthy run of yeoman service, well past any warranty, my Slingbox Pro HD suddenly failed - the power light still came on, but the network link light was very faint and I could no longer get a reliable connection to it over the network.

After checking the internet, I found several posts about capacitors failing on Slingbox mainboards. Although a few posts were about the HD Pro, the most common capacitor failures were on the Slingbox Solo.

I took it apart and found two of the 16V 470uf caps were bulged (same caps that cause a problem on the Solo), and one was leaking - so I desoldered and replaced them with new, larger 50V 470uf caps. Still couldn't connect.

The power supply for the HD Pro is 5V 4A, so I located a 5V 3A wall adaptor from a powered USB hub in my collection of power supplies. I tried that - problem solved. Apparently the original PS no longer supplied sufficient power under load. No idea if the bad caps contributed to the problem, but either way they needed replacing too. I've got a new 5V 4A PS I found on ebay on the way (about 20 bucks including shipping).

So if you have problems with your Slingbox, don't give up hope - the bad caps are a known issue, and the input power should be checked as well. Saved me about 300 bucks for a replacement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. My HD Pro failed after a couple of months in service. By the time I called support 96 days had passed so no free support. The behavior on mine is different though, it appears to be in a reboot cycle and the network light never goes solid.

My thread on the sling forums:

http://answers.slingbox.com/message/36651#36651

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't post my experience with this on the Slingbox forum as they seem to delete any posts that mention potential hardware issues and user implemented fixes (such as the bad caps issue).

From your post there, it sounds like you've eliminated anything external to the box, by using the same AV cable connections and power supply successfully on another HD-PRO unit.

Apparently Sling charges a 30 dollar fee to provide any support after 90 days, prior to expiry of the year limited hardware warranty - BUT if after following their diagnostic recommendations your box is proved bad they will refund that charge and provide a warranty replacement. Their 'pre-charge' policy sounds like a real PITA, and they apparently do a really bad job of explaining how it works - but it doesn't sound like you'll have a problem with getting a hardware replacement based on the testing you've already done. The following is from their site (bolding and italics mine):

Pay Per Incident Support

If you are looking for help from Sling Media while outside your 90 days of support and either don’t want to buy or your Sling Media product is not eligible for a Sling Media Extended Care agreement, you can buy a single incident of technical support.

The Pay Per Incident (or PPI) covers your access to calling or chatting with a Sling Media support team member about one specific issue. Once the issue is resolved, the case is closed and you would need to purchase another PPI to talk to us again.

This agreement does not provide out of warranty hardware repair should the issue ultimately be caused by a defective Slingbox or SlingCatcher. However, if your Slingbox or SlingCatcher is still under its standard hardware warranty and the issue turns out to be a hardware problem, your PPI will be refunded at the same time as your in-warranty repair is processed.

Good luck, and hope you get it resolved soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the Slingbox Pro and need to replace the power adapeter 6v 2.5A. Sling Canada wanted too much for it and the US site only costs $20 but they don't ship to Canada.

This sucks because its basically a bad power adapter.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My Slingbox Pro died over a year ago. Flashing "network" light and won't connect. I measured the power output of the adapter and it looked ok. I wonder if the problem I have is with the adapter, or some busted cap, or other failure.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sling Canada wanted too much for it and the US site only costs $20 but they don't ship to Canada.
Do a google search and you'll find a number of 5V 'wall wart' power adapters for sale pretty cheap.

I measured the power output of the adapter and it looked ok. I wonder if the problem I have is with the adapter, or some busted cap, or other failure.
Try a different PS first if you can find something at 6V and enough amperage - the 3.0A one I used to test worked fine, but long term I wanted something with the full 4.0A of the original. You can't just measure the voltage on your existing PS, you have to check the current draw when under load. If you already did that and know your PS is good, then have a look at the caps. There are three 470uf caps on the motherboard - the two at the front of the board are the ones that seem to fail. They bulge at the top and/or leak if they are bad.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd definitely recommend it - I don't think there is anything else on the market that works as well for what it does. I'd been running my HD-Pro non-stop for at least a couple of years when it quit, and it never required so much as a reset. I had a Slingbox 'Classic' for several years prior to that, and it never gave me any issues. The two possible suspects for the failure, which I found after a lot of research, were the caps (unfortunately not uncommon with consumer electronic products) and the power supply. If I were to do it again, I'd try the power supply first - I may not have needed to replace the caps.

Like anything else, you don't hear a lot of people on forums posting about their happy experiences - generally it's when they have a problem. I wouldn't say the majority of users are having any issues. Myself, if it's in your budget I'd go for the HD-Pro over the SOLO. The HD streaming quality is excellent over a local area network - even over wireless.

Good luck ... :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Works well with Rogers HD Boxes

Does slingbox work well with Rogers HD Boxes? Will it impact my HD HDMI output to my TV in any way? Thanks

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've never had Rogers equipment, so can't comment on their hardware. The Slingbox HD-Pro does not have HDMI input for HD - you need to use component HD connections, with either digital coaxial audio (S/PDIF) or analog stereo.

The Bell STB I use has concurrently active outputs for component and HDMI - so I the HDMI output for display connections, and component video for the Slingbox. If the Rogers equipment will only support one active output method for HD video, that limits your options.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts