Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Slingbox or Alternative - need to stream running Recording from Rogers PVR to laptop

Hi,

I have a treadmill in the basement. I don't have a TV there or cable. I usually just watch movies on my laptop down there. Soon, the Formula 1 racing season starts. I plan on recording the races on my Rogers PVR (SD quality is fine). At some point, during the middle of the race, I would like go on the treadmill and start watching the race from the beginning on my laptop... is there a Sling solution (or other solution) that will allow me to begin watching the race while it's still recording?

Thanks!

To illustrate:
race starts at 7am. I record the race on my Rogers PVR. At 8am I want to go on the treadmill and watch the race on my laptop, from the beginning, while the PVR continues to records the race to the end.

...also, I have Patriot Box Office network setup... not sure if that helps with any other TV streaming solution? My main PC in the house is an old clunker, P4 2.4GHz, 1.5SDRAM, no Capture card, no coax cable. My laptop is dual core Acer netbook, with basic netbook inputs/outputs. :confused:

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
You would need a computer or Slingcatcher beside your TV to receive the Slingplayer output.

If you did then you would have to start the Slingplayer at 7 and pause it for an hour to capture an hour of streaming video and then start watching.

By the time you buy a computer/slingcatcher and a slingbox, it would be cheaper to buy a second HD PVR.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'm not familiar with Roger's PVR offering, but the Bell (Dish) PVR allows you to access a PVR recording that is still underway and either 'View' (shows the recording from the point it's at right now) or 'Start from Beginning'. You can watch the event and pause/rewind/fast forward as with any live show, without affecting the recording in progress.

Provided your PVR will do that, you already have most of the solution. Hook up a cheap Slingbox to it (if SD is acceptible quality), make sure both it and the laptop are on your local network, and you're all set. Just use the Sling client application on your laptop to access your Slingbox over the network, and you can watch the race via remote PVR just as you would on your TV.

It will work with your laptop connected to your network either wired or wireless - you're not going to see any bandwidth issues, especially at SD resolution. You don't need a Slingplayer/Slingcatcher or any other hardware than a simple Slingbox. If you're wireless, you've essentially created a portable TV with PVR you can use anywhere in your house or yard.

Edit: I just checked out the current Slingbox offerings and the Slingbox SOLO would do what you want, and stream an HD image as well, for about 200.00 CDN.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, WestCDA. Yes, the Rogers PVR has the option to either play from current location or play from beginning while the recording is still going.

So a slingbox solo would work eh? But how does the PVR connect to the slingbox?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I don't think the Solo is HD so it would connect via S-Video or composite video plus analog audio.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The solo has component input as well for HD (but it doesn't stream HD). You can essentially put the SOLO between your source and the TV. Input would go to the SOLO and then out to your TV.

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
Be aware that if the 8300 is hooked to the TV via HDMI, then the component connection is not active. It can also potentially cause issues if the output is set as HD instead of 480i if the receiving unit cannot accept HD signals. Since the OP is satisfied with SD, then S-video or composite along with analogue audio should be fine.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks. I read that somewhere else. Luckily my PVR is attached to Sony that only had DVI-in... so I just use component.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
You can essentially put the SOLO between your source and the TV. Input would go to the SOLO and then out to your TV.
No. The Solo outputs via Ethernet so you need something in the other room to receive the signal (a computer or Slingcatcher) for output to a tv.

If he could connect via S-Video and Analog audio physically to the TV in the other room then he wouldn`t need the Slingbox.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
No I meant in the room where the SOLO will be placed - presumably there is a TV there as well. If you want to use component-out of the PVR and connect to your TV, and also component into the SOLO, you need to split the signal. You can instead connect from PVR to SOLO and SOLO to the TV. The SOLO will then stream over ethernet the signal it gets from the PVR and it will also display on the TV as well.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Sorry for the confusion.

·
Super Moderator
4,482 Posts
Another low tech option... send the signal from cable out via RG-6 (cable vision cable) to a cheap (monoprice) USB Analog TV tuner card tuned to analog channel 3 or 4.

·
Registered
846 Posts
My mistake on the SOLO, as a closer look at the spec shows it only accepts the HD inputs and streams SD - but if the Rogers box doesn't have concurrent outputs and you are using component with your Sony, you'll need the HD inputs anyway. They previously sold a 'classic' model with SD inputs only, but it looks like they just have the SOLO and more expensive HD-PRO (which does stream HD) now.

You can also access your PVR and recordings remotely over the internet (with any Slingbox) when you are away from home - though picture quality is scaled to the speed of your internet connection. The limiting factor is typically the upload speed on your account.

As has been explained, you connect the PVR to the Slingbox 'IN' connections, and the Slingbox 'OUT' to your current TV. The Slingbox has an IR blaster that sits in front of your PVR IR receiver window and allows you to control the PVR with a virtual remote on your PC, which is part of the Slingbox client viewer software. Also keep in mind that you are not adding another satellite tuner - whether your Rogers PVR is being remotely controlled by the Slingbox, or a user watching the Sony TV, it is the same output going to both.

As I mentioned, with a wireless connection you can use this anywhere in range of your access point without any cables, for a truly mobile TV solution. If you have other PC's in the house, you can install the Slingbox viewer software on them as well. Good luck with your setup!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I wouldn't use the slingbox within your home, Correct me if i'm wrong, doesn't all of the traffic go out(upload) over your internet connection and back in(download).

If possible run Svideo and Audio cable to your exercise room and get a IR remote extender to control your pvr box. Take the money you saved on the slingbox and put a small wall mounted LCD in your exercise room instead of using the laptop.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts