Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On its corporate blog today, Skype unveiled an Android app for its popular VoIP service that runs on most smartphones running Android V2.1 or higher.

The developers say the app has been tested on HTC and Motorola devices with Android OS 2.1 and above, however, the company says but that it can’t guarantee full functionality or compatibility with all Android phones. For example, Skype says it is aware of problems with the Samsung Galaxy S and hopes to fix them in the future.

Provided you have a compatible smartphone, Skype says VoIP calls can be made over WiFi or 3G subject to carrier restrictions. No word yet on what, if any, restrictions Canadian carriers will place on the app. In the United States, however, calls will only be allowed over WiFi.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Three posts removed and one infraction issued. The infraction was for a trolling post. The other two were flaming the troll so let me remind the others

Zero tolerance for flaming - Digital Home has zero tolerance for flames. If you have an issue with a post or someone's behavior then use the Report Bad Post feature and let our moderators deal with. If you respond and flame another member, you will be issued an infraction.
If you have a problem with a troll, then report it and let the moderators deal with it. If you continue the flame you may also find yourself receiving an infraction.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Installed it on my N1, no problems. Makes me wonder though, why can Skype do pure data only calls where as the Google Voice app on the mobile phone doesn't. H'mmmm?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Is there a way to tell if its using data or 3g? The app says it runs on both. So far i have not had any luck calling a land line and right now it wont let me sign in...

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Strange... It worked well this morning, but now I am unable to sign into my skype account. After a web search, it seems to be a rather common problem now.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
probably we will see updates soon..

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Looks like it is working again.

I just checked and you can not receive video either. Audio only app - quality is quite good though.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
About time they got this released for all platforms. I'm assuming that there was a license agreement in place with Verizon.

I installed it when they were having the server issues but I'll be giving it a whirl now that it's back up.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
data or 3g?
What do you mean by "data"? WiFi? 2G? If WiFi, it should work, as the phone switches to it when available. If 2G then bandwidth might be an issue.

·
Registered
468 Posts
not working on my N1. (Rogers)-

wont let me sign in
:confused:

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
See if it works via WiFi. If it does, then perhaps Rogers is filtering it over 3G. If they are, then I think a complaint to the CRTC or CCTS is in order.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I was able to sign in on my N1 but I can't remember whether I was on WiFi or 3G. There was a problem with sign-ins yesterday so it's possible that has cropped up again.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I installed it today on my Milestone (stock 2.1) and Skype worked fine over 3g (Bell) and WiFi. I found the audio quality decent but quiet on my end and the parties on the other end (pc & laptop) could hear me fine.

It's more of a novelty app for me but I'll use it enough that I hope it continues to be trouble free.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I havent actually called someone, but voice quality was excellent for the test call.
I'm thinking it might have something to do with my N1's noise cancelling mic, but still a good experience so far.

I never really got into using skype that much, but now that it's on my phone, maybe I will :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts