Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a TV that will be somewhat affordable but has some type of internet apps. I really want something that either HAS Skype or the firmware will be upgradable to have Skype. It seems like Samsung has the ability to download new apps do other brands have this capability as well? I suppose in order to have Skype the TV needs a USB port first of all.

So far it looks like Samsung and Panasonic are the only ones with Skype.

Can someone recommend a good TV / Internet TV to get?

I'd also like something with the ability to connect to computer or attach to my LAN and retrieve movies off of my movie hard drive...

Any info appreciated..

Drago

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Internet TVs... which are the best?

What is a good TV to get for internet apps ATM? Which ones have the best most robust package with the possibility of upgrading? I want skype! But can't find any good deals on TVs with it.

I'm looking for something about 50" maybe less, 1080p, plasma would be great. I'd like to keep the price down.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
USB slots, ethernet and accessing movies on networked drives.

So what are the purpose of these on today's panels?

I was at bestbuy and asked if ethernet was for plugging in my computer network and accessing my drive and they said that, no, generally it was for firmware updates. Which makes no sense at all to me. So can someone clarify this for me? ALso what is USB for? They said I need to buy a special dongle to plug into the USB slot in order to access movies off of a drive? Is this for copyright protection? I don't wanna worry about that.

Is there a certain brand of TV that is better for playing movies over a computer network? Has a better interface etc? NONE of these stores show you that stuff....

·
Super Moderator
56,528 Posts
Since these posts seem to be about similar topics, they were all merged into a single thread. Please do not cross/double post as this causes extra work for you, for our members and for mods. Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I went with the Panasonic TC-P50GT25 (the 3D version) as I got it for only 27 dollars more than the TC-P50G25 was going for at Best Buy. I'm really happy with it. Still have to get the Skype cam but the Youtube features are great... especially if you actually make use of a YouTube account and playlists. Which I do.

One thing I don't understand is that it seems like many people are talking about there being Netflix on this model. But mine seems to be missing it. Anyone know what's up with that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts